Peter Sokolov

Workgroup clients can't assign site

Hello,

I have SCCM 2012 with it own AD. I have an workgroup clients with the same network subnet. I've added the IP adress range as a boundary. Checked "Use this boundary group for site assigment"

I've added to host file a record pointing to SCCM site. Trying to install sccm agent with this command line \\SCCM\SMS_OCM\Client\ccmsetup.exe /mp:SCCM SMSSITECODE=OCM FSP=SCCM

The installation files were download successfully, but the site assignment won't work.

Attempting to get assigned site from lookup MP(s) via HTTP

Failed to resolve 'SMS_SLP' from WINS

LSGetLookupMP: Failed to resolve lookup MP from WINS with 87D00215. Check if it is published

UPDATE

I've added a DNS server to the workgroup machine and ran this command : \\ONLINE-SCCM\SMS_OCM\Client\ccmsetup.exe SMSSITECODE=OCM /MP:ONLINE-SCCM DNSSUFFIX=ONLINE.LOCAL INSTALL=ALL FSP=ONLINE-SCCM and it worked.

But the thing is - I can't add any DNS server to the workgroup clients. Only hostfile.

I've attached several LOG file to be viewed.

CcmExec.log

ccmsetup.log

LocationServices.log

Are they showing in the console?

Have they been approved via the console? More than likely not as it only auto approves any client in a trusted domain by default.

We had approx 150 workgroup laptops we refreshed each year and had no problem getting them communicating to the site server, SCEP policies worked and so did the APP catalog!

As it was a new process to me at the time I had a script that executed at OSD time to tick the box to use this conections DNS suffix in DNS registration. Now I am unsure if this was even needed as we had not approved the clients manually prior to this script. And also the only extra properties that was added to the client during OSD time was the SMSMP=xxxxx and DNSSUFFIX=xxxxxx.