JHBPJF

Renaming computers through SCCM 2012 after OSD

Question

We are moving away from Altiris, and giving SCCM 2012 a trial run. One thing that I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to do is renaming computers after OSD. Our Altiris setup currently gives the computers a generic name based off a script. After OSD is finished, through the Deployment Console, we can configure the system & change the computer's name. The console allows us to view the service tag off of our Dell machines which allows us to know which computer to rename. Our naming scheme is through an excel sheet which we update.

So far, I haven't been able to find a feature in SCCM 2012 that will allow me to do this.

I have found scripts & deployment collection properties that can prompt for the computer name during OSD which will work for deployment at our main office where we are located at, but isn't really an option for remote sites that need imaging done to it.

If there is no configuration feature, I would need to figure out a different solution. Anyone have any ideas?

2 answers to this question

If I understood your post right, have you looked at pre-creating resource IDs within SCCM? You can import computer information (either one-by-one or from a .CSV file). All you really need is a computer name and a MAC address. Once you have that relationship, the OSD process can pick up what it should name a particular machine.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4505-how-can-i-import-computers-into-sccm-2012-using-a-file/