Ocelaris

Backups without the Built in Backup procedure

So my SCCM 2007 environment backups started failing, and all suspects were the NT-Authority\system and SERVER$ accounts not having sysadmin privileges. So I talked to our SQL guy, and he wasn't aware that we were doing VSS snapshots with the built in SCCM 2007 environment, and wants me to NOT use them. Basically he has DB backups (which I'm confident in), but it's the rest of the backup that I'm worried about. It seems like going through the restore/repair procedure looks at a whole swath of stuff in the backup, and I'm not confident that SQL Backup + Vmware Snapshot (vranger) will restore me to a full working SCCM envorinment. Plus the built in SCCM backup fails completely when just the SQL VSS Writer portion fails. So I can't even just rely on the SQL guy to do the DB backups, and then use the file/registry data from the built-in backups.

What is everyone else doing where they have another team responsible for backups? Are you still doing your own SCCM/CM backups or are you letting them handle that, and have you run through that backup procedure?

I'm opening a ticket with Microsoft, mostly for some answers to what the actual backup procedure is doing, because at this point it seems very opaque to me. If I could use the gui backup, then that would be fine, but our server team is balking at me doing the backups. Thanks

You MUST use the CM07 Backup task, if you ever want to restore you site. There is no “if”, “and” or “but” about it.

Using a snapshot is not support either but does works only if there is a single site and SQL is installed on the same server as CM07, but I still recommend doing the CM07 backup too. This way you are still supported by MS.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but getting SYSADMIN rights on a SQL box is like pulling teeth. I opened up a case with Microsoft because sometimes to get permissions "they" have to hear it from the someone else to believe it. I just submitted the case this morning so hopefully will hear back, and I'll follow up when I've gotten their answer hopefully officially.

We do both. I do a backup via SCCM every night and our sys admin does one on the server every night as well. All of the SCCM stuff lives on that one server. I have all our packages, drivers.... on another drive attached to that server, so the full backup makes sure that all those files are backed up regular. In the case of a restore I would create a new sever, restore the site and then copy all the content back to the extra drive.

You could point them to the Docs, It is stated clearly that CM07 backup task is the only supported backup and the CM07 server must have dbo and Administrator rights to the SQL server. Heck it even says that Remote SQL is NOT best practice too. I hate remote SQL! I add 15 days to any project with remote SQL!