jhille

Lenovo W530 with microSATA SSD drive Apply OS Image problem

Question

We have a serious problem deploying OS to Lenovo W530. The computer has a MicroSSD drive that is confusing OSD. The "Disk0" or "Disk1" assignment is also random for the msata and the main HDD.

"Apply Operating System" targets logical drive letter stored in the "System" variable.

Anyone here who have bult a SCCM 2007 Task Sequence for this model?

post-7467-0-61314600-1363181168_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

We had a similiar issue with an HP ultabook model that has msata. The solution that worked for us was related to the bios and not the task sequence. In the bios we made sure the msata drive was enabled and changed the Boot Mode from the default legacy to UEFI Hybrid.

@ mpalmer- this worked for me, HP 9470m. We rec'd 2 of these laptops w/mSATA and no other drives installed (we were expecting regular SSD drives), and we had 2 hours to get them imaged and out the door.

While I had one of my guys start looking around for an SSD, I went online for answers. I tried adding drivers in SCCM 2012 and was going to try other Task Sequence when I saw this post... I am happy to say I was able to get the images deployed and in the hands of the users in less than 40 minutes.

THANK YOU!!

Buggin

Can someone assist in details on the formatting? I am trying to install OSD via SCCM 2012 on Lenovo X240 series. Currently the configuration hardware is 16GB mSATA and 7200RPM 500GB HDD. I guess what I don't understand is, am I suppose to load the OS on the mSATA, which to me seems logical? The additional drive, how is that being used for additional storage space? From the original poster jhille, I did exactly what was done but my results don't add up as expected.

Someone have additional screen shots from Disk Management or TS Volume Properties are suppose to look like?

Thanks,

Eric

Can someone assist in details on the formatting? I am trying to install OSD via SCCM 2012 on Lenovo X240 series. Currently the configuration hardware is 16GB mSATA and 7200RPM 500GB HDD. I guess what I don't understand is, am I suppose to load the OS on the mSATA, which to me seems logical? The additional drive, how is that being used for additional storage space? From the original poster jhille, I did exactly what was done but my results don't add up as expected.

Someone have additional screen shots from Disk Management or TS Volume Properties are suppose to look like?

Thanks,

Eric

Figured this all out. You are to be putting the OS on the HDD so it needs to be disk 0 and according to Lenovo, you need to install ExpressCache to get the SSD functionality of it. Its almost transparent, therefore, you install it and doesn't require any additional configurations. Problem is they can't me what tools are available verify that its truly is working but I suppose you can benchmark before and after the software install.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035460

Silent install switch is not available in the README. IF you need it, please use /s /v" NOREBOOT=1 /qn" at the end of your .exe

I know this thread is a little old but it is the only information that I have been able to find that is close to my problem.

I have a few HP 820 G1's that have a 500GB spinning disk and a 32GB flash card and I have not been able to deploy to them at all with SCCM 2007.

I have imported the sata drivers and created a new TS just for this model while testing and I have it set as shown in the screens below follows.

image.png

image.png

What I have noticed is that when booting with the HP image it only shows one drive as it is in cached mode. If I push the TS to it then it partitions it, names the drive (and i think formats it fine) but will fail the TS (unable to find a log for it).

I have the BIOS set to legacy (comes like that) and the Msata is set to allow boot.

I have tried every possible combination i can find but have no idea what the hell to do.

Would anyone please be able to help me with this?