mellenhagen

OSD not joining domain

Question

I have successfully completed a Build and Capture of Windows 7 Ent 64-bit. My OSD is working as it should, I think, with the exception of joining the domain. I am using a Domain Admin account which I have verified works. My NIC is installed and I am able to connect to the network after the OSD completes and the computer restarts. After the restart the smsts.log file is under _SMSTaskSequence. If I look at the smsts.log filed under thec:\windows\ccm\logs\SMSTSLog folder it has the date of when I captured the image. I have attached the smsts.log from the _SMSTaskSequence folder.

Also of note is the NetSetup.LOG also has the date of when I captured the image, not when I tried to deploy it.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Marguerite

smsts.log

NetSetup.LOG

6 answers to this question

I'm assuming this process errors at some point? Is reporting set up? If so, I would see what that says. But, maybe there is a better way, but here is what I would do. Enable command line support on the boot image. Create bootable media to a memory stick. Use this to boot. Have the command prompt open (F8) let it go until it errors. copy the SMSTS.log to the memory stick, investigate it and post it here.

http://sccmguy.com/2011/03/29/where-is-the-smsts-log-located/

if it's failing to join the domain did you verify the domain join account by clicking on Verify after entering those details in the apply network settings step ?

you need to press F8 during the Apply Operating System step to try and capture the SMSTS.log files (note theres more than the smsts.log file, there's also another one which may contain info about your failure called smsts-20130308-181903.log where the long string of numbers is the date/time

can you try and recapture these logs directly after the Apply Network Settings step ? and again in any steps after Setup Windows and configmgr

cheers

niall

Thanks for the reply. We have not updated to SP1 yet because I thought I should get my image working first. The account I am using is a domain admin account that I used with our previous software to join the domain. I am able to manually join the domain with it and I know that the password is correct however, without SP1 installed I can't verify it in Apply Network Settings.

Attached is the log captured after "Apply Network Settings" (ns_smsts.log)and a log captured right after "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" (smsts.log and smsts_20130403-134353.log)

ns_smsts.log

smsts.log

smsts-20130403-134353.log

I have checked the logs after another attempt and I can see from the c:\Windows\debug\NetSetup.log file that it isn't even attempting to join the domain. The file has the same date as the day I captured the image. Did I do something wrong when I captured the image. I followed the steps from "How can I capture an image using capture media in ConfigMgr 2012" that I found on this site.

afternetworksettingssmsts.log

smsts.log

smsts-20130411-175136.log

NetSetup.LOG