rustychuck

IE disable 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox

Question

I have been trying to disable or untick by default the 'Automatically detect settings' tickbox in Internet Explorer. I have read that this is ticked by design but there is a method where you can change it. I do not want to disable it via policy as I would like the user to be able to change it they desire - I just need it disabled the first time the user logs on. There is a registry tweak that you can perform which you can add as a Group Policy Preference, however, this does not work the first time a user logs on to a computer. If the user has logged on before then it works fine.

The registry key is in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections and is a Binary string for the key 'DefaultConnectionSettings'. You simply edit the ninth set of numbers to be '01' which disables both tick boxes in Internet Explorer. '09' means the tick box is ticked.

I know the key applies because I have checked the Group Policy trace logs and can see it apply, but once Windows has successfully logged on as the user and I check the registry the ninth set of numbers is back to '09'. This leads me to believe that Windows or Internet Explorer is enforcing the registry key to make the tick box ticked.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any advice?

3 answers to this question

The only thing I can think of is putting a script in "RunOnce" Registry key for the default user's profile. You could write a script that does a "reg.exe import" or equivalent for the setting you want to change, then put it here:

HKEY_USERS\[loaded hive from users\default\ntuser.dat]\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

You'd have to put this modified ntuser.dat file on all of the PCs in your charge, which you could do using SCCM by creating a configuration item (or baseline?) and deploying it, or using a GPO (ironically) to push a startup script out.

I used to do something like this for non-Pro XP deployments. I still have the download available, but it was never updated for Vista or 7.