sothpaw

Motion Computing Dashboard Application

Question

Hello CM 2012 Gurus'

We have a bunch of Motion Computing Tablets (F5 Tablets, Model # CFT-003). Motion Computing has this Dashboard application which is located here: http://www.motioncomputing.com/drivers/C5/C5_F5_Dashboard_v5.0.5.1_RN.htm that I've been trying to install.

I'm being told by Motion Computing that if I run the setup.exe with a "/r" and then just install the application (because it's an Install Shield file) it will create a file called "setup.iss" under the C drive which I have found. Then it instructs you to put this "setup.iss" file into the folder that contains the "setup.exe" file. Once file has been moved to that folder you should be able to run "setup.exe /s" and it will install the application silently.

If I bring up an elevated CMD prompt and run this: start/wait setup.exe -s -f1"setup.iss" -f2"c:\dashboard.log"

The Dashboard application will install no problem and create a new Dashboard application icon on the desktop

I've created a package in CM2012 and have it run: start/wait setup.exe -s -f1"setup.iss" -f2"c:\dashboard.log" and test collection for this application to get installed. I then add a tablet into this collection; I then go to the client and pull up the Software Center and it shows up and installs according to the Software Center because it says its "Installed", and I've look at the exemgr log files and I don't see any red indicating that the push failed, but I don't see the application installed anywhere on the client machine either.

I've done some research online and some people say to create a batch file which I've also done; and the batch file looks like this:

@echo off

start/wait %~dp0setup.exe -s -f1"%~dp0setup.iss" -f2"c:\dashboard.log"

exit

and if copy the dashboard folder to this client machine and then run CMD at elevated permissions the applicaiton will install just fine. But if I make CM 2012 install this batch file it will do the same thing that as before. It will show up in Software Center and installs according to the Software Center because it says its "Installed", and I've look at the exemgr.log files and I don't see any red indicating that the push failed, but I don't see the application installed anywhere on the client machine either.

Please help.

Thanks,

sothpaw

3 answers to this question

Had similar trouble with software that used similar commands and setup.iss file.

What I ended up doing was creating a custom Task sequence with 3 tasks in it.

1: A batchfile that copies the files including the setup.iss to the C:\Drive of the targeted clients

2: A commandline with the parameter c:\setup.exe -s -f1c:\setup.iss

3: A batch file that removed the files from the C:\Drive once the software completed

iss.JPG

Not very native but it works!

There are probably better ways to this, but like you I could not get the software to install using a standard package.

You could try and put all the above steps into one batch file so then you would only have one package and use the start /wait command to call the next step!!