CountVonCount

Apply Drivers doesn't actually Apply the Drivers

I'm trying to image a bunch of old Dell Optiplex 760 workstations with a Vista Business image. This is so we can dispose of them without violating our MS licensing. The issue I'm running into, is no mater what I try to do, the Vista image flat refuses to apply any drivers to the install. I've pulled the smsts logs, and nothing really stands out, it's able to see the distribution point, it queries for drivers, downloads them to a local store, then nothing. Vista boots and I'm stuck with no drivers aside from what windows has built into the default OS image.

Copying the exact same files straight off the distribution point, I can open the device manager and update/install every single one of the drivers manually.

I have a completely new SCCM SP1 site set up following the guides on here. Everything works great, and as far as I can tell, nothing really stupid is wrong with my site setup or the task sequence.

I am also having the same issue, but the Vista image and drivers were working perfectly pre-SP1 (SCCM 2012). We also discovered that our other Vista models (Dell Latitude E4300, E5400, E6500) are having the same driver issue as well. Like you I have looked through the logs and I am curious to see if you are getting a lot of entries stating "Failed to open Software\Microsoft\Sms\Mobile Client\Software Distribution registry key. The client should not get checked for RWH OpLock Type" during the Apply Driver stage.

I am also having the same issue, but the Vista image and drivers were working perfectly pre-SP1 (SCCM 2012). We also discovered that our other Vista models (Dell Latitude E4300, E5400, E6500) are having the same driver issue as well. Like you I have looked through the logs and I am curious to see if you are getting a lot of entries stating "Failed to open Software\Microsoft\Sms\Mobile Client\Software Distribution registry key. The client should not get checked for RWH OpLock Type" during the Apply Driver stage.

I do indeed get a page of two of that spamming me.

What I ended up having to do was do an offline servicing of the wim.

Use Imagex to mount the wim in readwrite mode, create an unattend.xml that tells it to look for drivers in a folder, and use pkgmgr to do an offline servicing of the wim and inject the drivers. I used a guide here.

Once the drivers are injected and ready to go, you can deploy using SCCM without adding an Apply Drivers task, and it should work correctly.

How are you applying the drivers? Are you using the "Auto Apply Drivers" or the "Apply Driver Package".

I know for OSD in my environment going from SCCM2007 to SCCM2012 I had to use "Apply Driver Package" with the drivers of that machine type. I found that the Auto apply drivers did not work.

Also going from SCCM2012 no SP to SCCM2012 with SP1 I also noticed that some drivers that previously applied during task sequences even with Apply Driver Package did not install and I had to revert to run setup programs with either Application or Packages.