anyweb

using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 12. Connecting PowerShell and Building a reference image of Windows 8 with .Net 3.5

and was that after the failure ? are you looking in the right place ? (x: or c: ?)

dir /s smsts*.log

try that in the root of any drive letter after the failure and before the computer reboots, in other words when you see the message on screen (that you included above) press F8 and grab the logs

that log doesn't contain the error, how about x:\windows\temp\smstslog anything there ?

you'll note that this log is not the live one as it doesn't even reference you opening a cmd prompt.

I'm trying to import the install.wim for Windows 8 Enterprise.

It failed with "The specified UNC path does not contain a valid WIM file or you do not have permission to access it. Specify a valid path."

The permission is not an issue.

I tried to load the wim file using Windows System Image Manager and it's giving another error message.

"Error Opening Windows image at ............with the detail log attached below:

1:06 PM : This application requires version 6.2.9200.16384 of the Windows ADK.
Install this version to correct the problem
1:06 PM :
1:06 PM : Error opening Windows image at Y:\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 8\Win8X86\sources\install.wim.

1:06 PM :
1:06 PM : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Reached the end of the file
at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimFileHandle..ctor(String wimPath)
at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimInfo..ctor(String wimPath)
at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.Cpi.OpenWim(String wimPath)
at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.GetImageInfoFromPath(String path)
at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ImagePicker.ValidateImageFileOrFolder(String fileOrFolder)

=========================================================================

I've checked version for the installed Windows ADK and it's exactly 6.2.9200.16384.

I don't see a newer version of windows ADK available anywhere on the net.

Does anyone know what's happening with this issue?

hi Arvin,

please post a screenshot of the path you are importing from...

"The specified UNC path does not contain a valid WIM file or you do not have permission to access it. Specify a valid path."

Thanks for replying, really appreciated.

It was just a normal UNC path.

I type it in and then browse to the install.wim file manually.
\\bafflo\software$\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 8\WIN8X64\Sources\install.wim

I have also tried to copy the entire directory to the local machine, also failed to load.

There's another copy of Windows 8 Pro within the same location under

\\bafflo\software$\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 8\WIN8PRO\

and it loaded fine.

These Windows 8 Enterprise ISOs I just downloaded were not available from the site. I believe it was only made available recently by Microsoft. Therefore I thought it might be the problem with my ADK, so then I installed the latest package for Windows 8.1 Preview, It still fails.

Log from SMSProv.log shows

*~*~e:\qfe\nts\sms\siteserver\sdk_provider\smsprov\sspimagepackage.cpp(586) : Failed to get the image property from the source WIM file due to error 80070002~*~* SMS Provider 1/08/2013 8:26:56 AM 852 (0x0354)*~*~Failed to get the image property from the source WIM file due to error 80070002 ~*~* SMS Provider 1/08/2013 8:26:56 AM 852 (0x0354)

Yes, It does.

As I mentioned, it worked with different images located at

\\bafflo\software$\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 8\WIN8X64PRO\Sources\install.wim and

\\bafflo\software$\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 7\WIN7X64\Sources\install.wim and

\\bafflo\software$\Installers\Microsoft\Windows 7\WIN7X86\Sources\install.wim

I also tried coping the entire folder to the server and create a share that way. Same thing. :(