ozthe2

User State Migration node shows all migrations as 'In Progress'

Hello,

I am using User State Migration in our task sequence that completes without error.

ie the users files are backed up to our server State Migration Point, windows 7 and various apps are installed and then the user data is put back.

There are no errors.

However, the User State Migration node under 'Assets and Compliance' -> 'Device Collections' shows all of our migrations as 'In Progress' under the Migration Status column.

This has the effect of not clearing out the migrated user data from our server. (our state migration point is set to delete them after 14 days)

As a direct result of the data being left on the server, I've had to up the Maximum Number of Clients from 100 to 200 in order to allow some more migrations to take place. (And soon I'll have to up this again unless I manually delete the migrated data from our server)

I'm assuming that if the migration status changed from 'In Progress' to 'Completed' or whatever the completion text is, this would then trigger the 14 day deletion rule to kick in too.

Any ideas where to look in order to fix this? I should add that we are not on SP1 yet and it looks like this has never worked as the migration status for all of our migrations are shown as In Progress.

Same "issue" here

There are no errors and problems with the USMT-process, but the "Migration Status" never changes after a successful migration from "In progress" to anything else.

What I also am quite confused of is the fact that the linked data on the State migration point is still in place after deleting items via SCCM console in "User State Migration".

Funny story...it turns out that any xp to win 7 migration stays as "In progress" but a win 7 to win 7 will complete and data deletes after 14 days as expected.

The funny part of this story is a Microsoft tech remoted in and took a look around and confirmed I am safe to delete the "in progress' ones from both the Config Mgr console and the stored user data on our state migration point.

Having done this, our SMP broke and we are currently unable to image with any task sequence that uses the USMT with state migration point.

I took a look at the smsts.log on a client computer that failed at the "Request State Store" part in the task sequence and it shows:

- Error. Status code 500 returned

- SMP Root share info response is empty

- Failed to find an SMP that can serve request after trying 4 attempts.

...and indeed, the component status shows a critical error for SMS_STATE_MIGRATION_POINT

Maybe restoring the deleted directories will fix it, or removing the role and reinstalling the SMP - these I have not tried as I'm awaiting to hear back from our external support at the moment before doing anything.

Good times...I will update if I ever get the "correct" method on how to resolve this.

Well the official response from MS was to remove and reinstall the State Migration Point role.

Before doing this, I remove all of the USMT data from our server including the root folder as defined in the SMP properties when you configure it and deleted all of the objects in the Config Manager console under Assets and Compliance -> User State Migration.

I then removed and reinstalled the SMP site role which took all of 2 minutes.

I found that following a reinstallation of the SMP a reboot of the server is mandatory otherwise it does not work.

I then ran 4 XP to Win7 migrations that utilise our USMT task sequence and 1 out of 4 stayed as 'In Progress' and the other 3 completed.

This is a much better result than we had prior to the reinstallation of the SMP where all of our XP to 7 stayed in the 'In Progress' status.

We have approx 200 XP migrations to go so I will have to see what the end result is though it looks more promising.

The fix at the end of it all will be to delete all of the data and remove \ reinstall the SMP site role.

As it appears all Win7 to Win7 are successful this will have to do as our resolution to the issue. At least the reinstallation of the SMP is painless.