Jeff K

WIndows 8 Languages not applying automatically

Hi

i am trying to deploy Windows 8 Enterprise with 3 different types of languages. English (US), Dutch, and Slovakian. now i went and captured a single image using hyper-v brought the wim into DISM and added the 2 additional languages, using SK-SK, and NL-BE.

Reference to do it: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799277(WS.10).aspx

now i then created 3 different XML files dutch_Win8.xml, Slovakia_Win8.XML, and English_Win8.XML. I made a package for them and added the following for Dutch using WIndows SIM on the pass 7 OOBE

<SystemLocale>nl-BE</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>nl-BE</UILanguage>

<InputLocale>nl-BE</InputLocale>

<UserLocale>nl-BE</UserLocale>

English is

<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>

<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>

<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>

now when i made the task sequence I chose the "Use an unattended or sysprep answer file for a custom installation" updated and called for Dutch_Win8.xml and chose the correct package. so i go and PXE Boot and it goes well till after the setup Windows and Configuration, it pops up and says which display language would you like,

English

Netherlands

Slovakia

I have to pick one before it moves on. i thought the XML would take care of this part of the deployment so I would not have anyone having to answer questions. is there a way to fix this so it answers it and moves on automatically by way of the XML file????

post-5927-0-78004200-1366126131_thumb.png

yes you can automate it, you can use computer or collection variables, or use a frontend HTA like this one

that HTA allows you to select language and regional settings or even multiple languages..

is there a way other than doing a HTA front end? the Desktop people sometimes have a hard time forgetting to put in a computer name. i also, like to not add any extra items to SCCM. even though i think it be great the powers at be say now, brought it up before.

the part I am having a hard time with is the fact the XML is there and its not being used.

are you sure it's reading the xml file ? how do you know it's not being used ? have you tried pressing f8 before the apply operating system step and monitoring that file by re-opening it multiple times until the first reboot after apply operating system step.

I found it in the logfile and on the drive the settings are there:

No adapters found in environment. Performing global configuration only. 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM
Writing configuration information to C:\WINDOWS\panther\unattend\unattend.xml 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM
Successfully saved configuration information to C:\WINDOWS\panther\unattend\unattend.xml 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM
Configuring "OSDNetSettings.exe finalize" to run on first boot 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM
OSDNetSettings finished: 0x00000000 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM
i have attached the unattend.xml it is using too. wondering if the netbios name might be causing the issue. we have a multiple forests here and domains.

unattend.xml

well if

No adapters found in environment. Performing global configuration only. 4/17/2013 12:48:44 PM

does it have a valid ip address and can you ping the fqdn of the mp during osd ?
if not you need to fix that issue first, before worrying about languages.
if you want to troubleshoot this effectively then place pause steps between the Apply operating system step and apply windows settings step and the Setup Windows and configmgr step, you should see your unattend.xml file change a few times during those three steps (before the reboot)
to pause the tasks sequence use a run command line step which runs a vbscript/windows script file to prompt the enduser with a msgbox to click OK to.
the task sequence will 'pause' until you click the ok in the msgbox
cscript.exe pause_ts.wsf

i will give it a try and let you know. the lab is in nwtraders.msft and production cant resolve the netbios names of the lab. that is why i went and added the FQDN to the xml file now and going to try that. i have to have everything here working separate from production first then i can move it to a real production. i also cant have my own DHCP so i am stuck with the prod environment for name resolution.