Kingskawn

Machine restarted automatically last night

Question

I have updates that are launched. Everything is set to not reboot the machine but there was already a machine that did a reboot at 3.15AM.

The log in event viewer is

The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (X656REZ) has initiated the restart of computer X656REZ on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Recovery (Planned)
Reason Code: 0x80020002
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

It indicates that something from SCCM, as it's using the SYSTEM account, triggered that reboot. It appears that when updates are deployed from SCCM, the WU client will itself do a reboot as the SCCM agent won't.

In group policy you can disable this by going to

KdfFv.png

Choose the 'No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Updates installations' and set it to 'enable'.

If you have seen this, apply this ;)

Also the updates are by default set to check for updates at 3AM

208003-how-do-i-configure-windows-update

You can also disable this with the GP 'Configure Automatic Updates' but I don't know if this will resolve my problem too?

This page explains how you can have the full control over windows update: http://www.solvusoft.com/blog/should-you-turn-off-automatic-updates-in-windows-7-and-how-to-do-it/

• Like 1

1 answer to this question