faolchu

new remote install folder

Question

guys

our WDS server is running low on space we currently have three images in it and i need to add another fairly large one. I have the capture image on an external drive and I'm truing to get WDS to use this USB drive as a second installation folder. is that possible?

if its not I have a small NAS could I relocate the remote installation folder to the NAS and map a drive on my WDS server to it or possibly use UNC path to the NAS?

i read that i can change the location by following these steps but that would mean me moving my existing images

• launch a command prompt with elevated privileges
  • Then, run the command: WDSUTIL /uninitialize-server
  • Cut and paste your RemoteInstall to the new location (D:\ for example)
  • At the command prompt again, run the command: WDSUTIL /Initialize-Server /RemInst: D:\RemoteInstall

I'm using 2008 R2 standard on the WDS server and its a windows 7 image i'm trying to use.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

It is not possible to add a "second" remoteinstall share, and it is not possible to use a n UNC, what you can do is as you described above. Unitilizae the WDS and then run the Configuration wizard again and add the new path there.

Regards,
JÖrgen

unfortunatly that doesnt work. WDS doesnt like network drives. it needs an admin share ($).

the NAS i have is an Iomega ix2, a basick home user NAS not one you'd generally use for a corproate environment but it is sufficient for our requirements in relation to storage etc, because we reallly only use it for storing .iso files and what not.

so im wondering is there a way to either make Server 2008 Rs see the network drive as a local drive (probably not) or some how mount the foldder on teh NAS into a folder on a local hard drive on teh WDS server.

I tried mklink but wds recognises that as a symbolic link so it wont work :(