goudviske

Trying to deploy over PXE UEFI x86 with WDS 2012

Question

Hi,

I've been reading a lot on these forums the last couple of weeks, mostly regarding SCCM etc, but at the moment I've got an issue I haven't been able to wrap my head around.

We're using a standard win 2k8 r2 domain environment. This environment used to contain a server with MDT 2010 and WDS 2008 (server 2008 r2), used for deploying win7 etc, the environment used to work pretty well.

Then somebody thought it was a good idea to buy some tablet computers, to be specific the HP Elitepad 900. Specs for this tablet computer indicate it is able to do PXE boot (there is an ethernet port on the docking), but due to limitations this only works using UEFI (BIOS not supported). After a lot of reading I found that wds 2008 does not support x86 uefi, so the server was upgraded (no fresh install) to windows server 2012 (with wds 2012) and mdt 2012 update 1.

Legacy computers are still able to PXE boot correctly (and complete installation), but UEFI machines, or machines starting in UEFI mode can't do this at the moment.

What happens is:

- boot the computer over network (or tablet), we mainly want the elitepad to get working (x86 uefi), but I've also tried booting another machine using x64 UEFI with the same result

- the following is shown:

>>Start PXE over IPv4, Press [ESC] to exit...

Station IP address is x.x.x.x

Server IP address is x.x.x.x

NBP filename is boot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi

NBP filesize is xxxxx bytes

Downloading NBP File

Succeed to download NBP file.

[EDIT] Not sure if it's NEP or NBP file, not very clear on the screen

Then the screen changes and I see:

Windows Depoyment Services (server IP: x.x.x.x)

Contacting Server (x.x.x.x): - (this is like turning / - \ - / - \ ...)

ESC= Exit

After a while (timeout)the computer shows:

Windows Deployment Services encountered an error:

Error Code: 0x102

ENTER=Reboot

What I've tried/changed so far:

Changed the NBP filename in DHCP options, it used to be boot\x86\wdsnbp.com (when not using UEFI), before changing this I simply got network error when trying to network boot.

Added NIC (and other) drivers in WDS 2012, regenerated the boot image afterwards etc.

Tried reinstalling WDS on a newly installed windows server 2012 (without mdt) in standalone mode.

Other stuff I can't think of at the moment :-)

PXE booting of our SCCM 2012 update 1 (only used for updates & endpoint protection at the moment), but with the same result

Any thoughts/ideas? I have a feeling I'm overlooking something stupid, but then again it may not be stupid.

Thank you

[EDIT]

Sorry I should have posted this in

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/43-windows-deployment-services-wds/

[/EDIT]

Edited by anyweb
replacing NEP with NBP

I'm having the same issue described. I have not been able to get it to boot by pressing the Enter key as described.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 and am trying to UEFI PXE boot a 64-bit system.

I have a thread on Technet here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/346a40db-764a-46c2-829b-678a31b608d4/pxe-boot-with-uefi-wds-not-sending-winpe-wim

The system is SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but please see this: http://ccmexec.com/2013/05/configmgr-2012-uefi-and-pxe-boot-support/

From that website and TEchNet link it states:

A Windows Server 2008 R2 WDS supports PXE boot of 64-bit EFI devices:

From Technet: “Provides support for network booting x64-based computers with EFI, including support for the Auto-Add policy and the ability to deploy boot images using multicasting.” Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/dd348502(v=ws.10).aspx

This tells me I can do 64-bit systems, just not 32-bit. I am trying to do a 64-bit system.

Now, if there is some unwritten statement that specifically states that to do ANY UEFI PXE booting requires Server 2012 I would be glad if you could direct me to it.

I see this now ArmitageID......thanks for the info.

Here is another reference.

According to the Operating Systems Deployed portion...WDS 2008R2 only supports upto windows7 image deployments and it does support efi to x64 clients.

So I guess this suggests that it supports windows 7 x64 deployments to efi enabled devices.

Thanks

Still working this issue and have an open case with Microsoft. So far nothing too good.

I did setup a Server 2012 system to test with an I still experience the same issue. I did some digging and figured out I can get the UEFI PXE boot to work for x64 UEFI devices when they are on the SAME VLAN. Whenever I try to PXE boot from a different network, it results in the timeout 0x102 error. What makes it even odder is that normal BIOS PXE works without issue whether on the same network or a different one.

I'm not sure why, but it apepars the UEFI PXE is having issues traversing multiple networks. I haven't been able to find anything speaking of special configurations, DHCP options or IP Helpers to address this issue.

I'll post when I get more....

• Like 1

I am having the same issue - it looks like the HP UEFI is 32bit.

I have Lenovo UEFI working perfectly well on the same 2008r2 server, so settings are OK - we both need to upgrade to 2012 which has support for 32bit UEFI.

Royal pain in the @&$£ though, I wish HP would at least acknowledge this, or document their UEFI implementation.

Has anybody got the next step after this timeout? I am at the same stage now.

Thanks

Hi,

I've been reading a lot on these forums the last couple of weeks, mostly regarding SCCM etc, but at the moment I've got an issue I haven't been able to wrap my head around.

We're using a standard win 2k8 r2 domain environment. This environment used to contain a server with MDT 2010 and WDS 2008 (server 2008 r2), used for deploying win7 etc, the environment used to work pretty well.

Then somebody thought it was a good idea to buy some tablet computers, to be specific the HP Elitepad 900. Specs for this tablet computer indicate it is able to do PXE boot (there is an ethernet port on the docking), but due to limitations this only works using UEFI (BIOS not supported). After a lot of reading I found that wds 2008 does not support x86 uefi, so the server was upgraded (no fresh install) to windows server 2012 (with wds 2012) and mdt 2012 update 1.

Legacy computers are still able to PXE boot correctly (and complete installation), but UEFI machines, or machines starting in UEFI mode can't do this at the moment.

What happens is:

- boot the computer over network (or tablet), we mainly want the elitepad to get working (x86 uefi), but I've also tried booting another machine using x64 UEFI with the same result

- the following is shown:

>>Start PXE over IPv4, Press [ESC] to exit...

Station IP address is x.x.x.x

Server IP address is x.x.x.x

NBP filename is boot\x86\wdsmgfw.efi

NBP filesize is xxxxx bytes

Downloading NBP File

Succeed to download NBP file.

[EDIT] Not sure if it's NEP or NBP file, not very clear on the screen

Then the screen changes and I see:

Windows Depoyment Services (server IP: x.x.x.x)

Contacting Server (x.x.x.x): - (this is like turning / - \ - / - \ ...)

ESC= Exit

After a while (timeout)the computer shows:

Windows Deployment Services encountered an error:

Error Code: 0x102

ENTER=Reboot

What I've tried/changed so far:

Changed the NBP filename in DHCP options, it used to be boot\x86\wdsnbp.com (when not using UEFI), before changing this I simply got network error when trying to network boot.

Added NIC (and other) drivers in WDS 2012, regenerated the boot image afterwards etc.

Tried reinstalling WDS on a newly installed windows server 2012 (without mdt) in standalone mode.

Other stuff I can't think of at the moment :-)

PXE booting of our SCCM 2012 update 1 (only used for updates & endpoint protection at the moment), but with the same result

Any thoughts/ideas? I have a feeling I'm overlooking something stupid, but then again it may not be stupid.

Thank you

[EDIT]

Sorry I should have posted this in

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/43-windows-deployment-services-wds/

[/EDIT]

I'm having the same issue described. I have not been able to get it to boot by pressing the Enter key as described.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 and am trying to UEFI PXE boot a 64-bit system.

I have a thread on Technet here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/346a40db-764a-46c2-829b-678a31b608d4/pxe-boot-with-uefi-wds-not-sending-winpe-wim

The system is SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2.

I'm seeing the same thing here with x64-clients and WDS 2012 - error x102 after loading wdsmgfw.efi...

Has this ever been solved anywhere?

Hi.

I have x64 UEFI installing from WDS2012(R2) and MDT 2013.

If you are getting a time out, i would check your WDSUTIL.

Have a look at what boot program is being used when you EFI boot (opROM must be set to UEFI not BIOS).

From CMD or PS

wdsutil /get-server /show:config

Then look at this section:

Boot Program Policy:

Mine (for x64UEFI) is directed to the following:

Boot\x64\bootmgfw.efi