goudviske

Trying to deploy Win 8 ENT to HP Elitepad 900

Question

Hi,

Short version:

Tried deploying win 8 to HP Elitepad tablet computers.

When trying to deploy over PXE, I encountered some issues (more here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8045-trying-to-deploy-over-pxe-uefi-x86-with-wds-2012/), I think they're related to pxe booting a x86 uefi machine, which my wds 2012 doesn't seem to like...

After a couple of days I thought why not try to deploy it over USB, created a task sequence, configured media on the WDS and tried deploying it. At first I hit some issues related to disk partitioning, that seemed to be resolved, but maybe it isn't entirely.

What happens now is:

- Elitepad boots on USB

- Task sequence performs a few tasks

- prepares

- formats the disk (uefi)

- injects drivers

- uses imagex to expand the previously captured .wim

- reboots

Then when rebooting I get a new style of blue screen.

This shows:

the operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system
driver is missing or contains errors
file: \windows\system32\drivers\megasas2.sys
Error Code: 0xc000035e
I suppose it has something to do with drivers for the storage controller, but I don't quite get what's wrong, the drivers are installed correctly in the .wim, so after restoring that should be ok, and also they are injected during the earlier phases.
I think it may have something to do with which partition is active, but I can't seem to get it resolved.
Any thoughts/ideas/... ?
Thanks

Thanks for the guide, thats awesome! I am just about to start experimenting imaging these devices with SCCM 2012. One question, does an SCCM OSD that partitions the hard drive wipe out the Factory Restore information on the Elitepad, or is it protected?

I've never imaged tablets before, so I was hoping that this functionality would still be there as a lifeline if it blows up.

Thanks

Rosy_55

I'd say it wipes it due to my own 2 days of pain trying to image them, when mine failed initially there was no boot options at all, the device was totally wiped :wacko: .

Just to let you know you will not get these devices imaged with SCCM 2012 your setup has to be SCCM 2012 SP1 with CU1. The DP/PXE server also has to be built on server 2012.

Rocket Man

Hi,

I tried using you excellent guide to deploy Windows 8 Enterprise to one of our Elitepads, but it fails when applying the firmware update package with an error 1602. I then tried applying the Firmware package manual, but i still get an error 1602 - anyone knows how to fix this?

nimmer

Never came across this problem.....Have you installed any other software previously to doing the extra requirements?

Are you sure the KB Update has installed correctly before it trys to install the BIOS update?

Yes I'm sure the KB update gets applied and installed correctly before I try to install the BIOS update with the FDSetup.exe. The FDSetup keeps failing with an error 1602. But then I tried running the setup.exe from the Package subfolder, and then all the drivers gets installed.??

nimmer

Thanks for the above info am about to recieve a lot of these to image assumed it was going to be the same as a laptop :S

Question though, have read the below whitepaper

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-274/173005/2/SystemCenter.pdf

However we are running our site server on 2008r2 and the white paper states you need server 2012....

Anyone know if this will work: build a new PXE DP on server 2012 and leave site server on 2008R2?

@Rocket Man -- I've followed your instructions to the letter. (Twice) I have a brand new Elitepad 900, it never gets an IP I just get the "Network Not Found" msg. I have a 2012 Server setup with SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2. I never even get an IP on this device. Here is what I see in SMSPXE.log

Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="2046820353" ServerName="" ServerRemoteName=""><Machine><ClientID>4a5eeafc-0134-44b7-aa60-1d749a57328f</ClientID><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="OCS20006" OfferIDTime="7/30/2013 12:30:00 PM" PkgID="OCS00019" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="http://OCS12.ocboe.local/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/OCS00005" BootImageID="OCS00005" Mandatory="0"/></ClientIDReply>
SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218)
6C:3B:E5:85:60:D8, B2F8FB8B-0000-1000-811D-05D3970180FF: found optional advertisement OCS20006 SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218) Looking for bootImage OCS00005 SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218)

Am I missing something? Every other device receives an IP and boots / OSD fine. I'm at a true stand still it was only by a miracle I stumbled on this article

*EDIT* for some reason CU2 would not install before CU1 so I installed CU1 and the tab PXE booted. . . continueing on, thanks.!