goudviske

Trying to deploy Win 8 ENT to HP Elitepad 900

Question

Hi,

Short version:

Tried deploying win 8 to HP Elitepad tablet computers.

When trying to deploy over PXE, I encountered some issues (more here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8045-trying-to-deploy-over-pxe-uefi-x86-with-wds-2012/), I think they're related to pxe booting a x86 uefi machine, which my wds 2012 doesn't seem to like...

After a couple of days I thought why not try to deploy it over USB, created a task sequence, configured media on the WDS and tried deploying it. At first I hit some issues related to disk partitioning, that seemed to be resolved, but maybe it isn't entirely.

What happens now is:

- Elitepad boots on USB

- Task sequence performs a few tasks

- prepares

- formats the disk (uefi)

- injects drivers

- uses imagex to expand the previously captured .wim

- reboots

Then when rebooting I get a new style of blue screen.

This shows:

the operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system
driver is missing or contains errors
file: \windows\system32\drivers\megasas2.sys
Error Code: 0xc000035e
I suppose it has something to do with drivers for the storage controller, but I don't quite get what's wrong, the drivers are installed correctly in the .wim, so after restoring that should be ok, and also they are injected during the earlier phases.
I think it may have something to do with which partition is active, but I can't seem to get it resolved.
Any thoughts/ideas/... ?
Thanks

Good stuff! :)

New issue is after I imported those driver packs into the boot image, I get the error \Windows\System32\Drivers\iastorA.sys was not found

I've taken it out of the boot image, re-added, and redistributed. How do you troubleshoot this?

New issue is after I imported those driver packs into the boot image, I get the error \Windows\System32\Drivers\iastorA.sys was not found

I've taken it out of the boot image, re-added, and redistributed. How do you troubleshoot this?

I am working on an SCCM deployment for the HP ElitePad as we speak. Testing this week.

The issue I am running into right now is, as soon as the OS starts "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" I get a "Installation drive does not meet requirements" in the X:\Windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\WindowsSetupLogs\setuperr.log. The generic task sequence error code is 0x80004005. A google search for that + elitepad yeilds an HP site saying "Install CU1 for SCCM 2012 SP1 on a Server 2012 OS". Excellent advice except I have CU2 installed. Dead end.

Anyway, to respond to your issue: I had the exact same error. I removed all the storage drivers from the WIN PE 4.0 Driver pack from the boot image and I got past this issue. I suspect that the newest drivers have issues so maybe I'll go back to the February 2013 set and try those (per the SCCM deployment PDF). I'm working off a hodge podge (one set from july 2013 if i recall correctly) of drivers and I get those errors and my error I described above - maybe they are all related.

Side note for anyone else starting this process: The Win PE 4.0 networking drivers (only has SMSC sub folder) aren't enough to get the proper device driver for the usb to ethernet in the version of the Elitepad I'm working with. I took ALL the drivers (broadcom, nxp, qualcomm, and smsc from the Windows 8 Elitepad x86 Driver Pack) and added them to the boot image and it allowed me to start the task sequence (aka: get past 'Preparing networking connections' in Win PE).

For the guy that posted his step by step, it is appreciated! I'll attempt those steps and scrap my currently deployment attempt including dumping all drivers and my captured image (didn't have the Windows 8 KB in it).

For an "enterprise ready" device, this elitepad via sccm insanely nitpicky about it's setup... (To be fair, Windows 8 is as well. Lets hope 8.1 is a major improvement!)

Update:

Random error that is worth sharing: My 0x80004005 error i was getting is a generic error.

Using F8 and looking at the X:\Windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\smsts.log I find the following (Note: you can only open this log if you click 'Restart now' to dismiss windows in SCCM. It won't restart until you close the command prompt but it will release the smsts.log file lock so you can open it):
After applying the OS (the very last step), it appears the system is attempting to reboot using a C++ file that it cannot find. It is looking on the E drive for some reason.

In the format UEFI task sequence step, I added the 'Make boot drive' to disk 0 GPT which resolved the issue. (Shown below with most of the deployment task sequence I used (minus applications/packages):

post-21135-0-48343100-1376245781_thumb.png

(Since I'm in a sharing mood: for those of you curious about the misspelled 'Assign C:\ Boot Drive' this is a left over from Windows 7. I didn't try the task sequence without it but I suspect i still needed it. See here for details.)

Another side note: when capturing the windows 8 image, i noticed it made a 1-1 and a 2-2 image. 2-2 had my OS. I didn't run into any issues because i noticed this but it is easy to miss otherwise.

Back to the iaStorA issue: I retried adding all the drivers to the boot image andhit the same error again. Again i removed the drivers from the boot image (They are still available in the apply device driver task sequence step, just not injected into the x86 Boot Image).

Here are the drivers in my boot image:

post-21135-0-69909700-1376245640_thumb.png

I believe my deployment is mostly successful, waiting for it to finish but it seems to be progressing nicely.

Deployment successful. On to testing and installing apps for compatibility issues. Two drivers missing on install. I'll hunt those down later.

Rocket Man: if you could share how you added .net 3.5 SP1 to your image I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll hack away until I get it done (i downloaded the stand alone from MS but it failed during the image task sequence. I'm thinking there has to be a configuration manager 'add roles or features' step that I can use.

Update:

Random error that is worth sharing: My 0x80004005 error i was getting is a generic error.

Using F8 and looking at the X:\Windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\smsts.log I find the following (Note: you can only open this log if you click 'Restart now' to dismiss windows in SCCM. It won't restart until you close the command prompt but it will release the smsts.log file lock so you can open it):

After applying the OS (the very last step), it appears the system is attempting to reboot using a C++ file that it cannot find. It is looking on the E drive for some reason.

In the format UEFI task sequence step, I added the 'Make boot drive' to disk 0 GPT which resolved the issue. (Shown below with most of the deployment task sequence I used (minus applications/packages):

attachicon.gifCheckMakeBootDisk.png

(Since I'm in a sharing mood: for those of you curious about the misspelled 'Assign C:\ Boot Drive' this is a left over from Windows 7. I didn't try the task sequence without it but I suspect i still needed it. See here for details.)

Another side note: when capturing the windows 8 image, i noticed it made a 1-1 and a 2-2 image. 2-2 had my OS. I didn't run into any issues because i noticed this but it is easy to miss otherwise.

Back to the iaStorA issue: I retried adding all the drivers to the boot image andhit the same error again. Again i removed the drivers from the boot image (They are still available in the apply device driver task sequence step, just not injected into the x86 Boot Image).

Here are the drivers in my boot image:

attachicon.gifDriversInBootImage.PNG

I believe my deployment is mostly successful, waiting for it to finish but it seems to be progressing nicely.

Deployment successful. On to testing and installing apps for compatibility issues. Two drivers missing on install. I'll hunt those down later.

Rocket Man: if you could share how you added .net 3.5 SP1 to your image I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll hack away until I get it done (i downloaded the stand alone from MS but it failed during the image task sequence. I'm thinking there has to be a configuration manager 'add roles or features' step that I can use.

I used DISM to update the image with .net (You need to extract SXS folder from the win8 .iso)

dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:C:\DISM\Win8x86_golden.wim /index:2 /mountdir:C:\DISM\mount

dism.exe /Image:c:\DISM\mount /enable-feature /featurename:netFX3 /All /Source:C:\Temp\sxs

dism.exe /Unmount-Image /MountDir:c:\DISM\mount /Commit

I have imaged about 30 of these devices, 30 more to go. Some seem to just randomly fail at the BIOS update stage, annoying. I see HP have a new Driver and Firmware Update so may give that a go

Rocket Man: if you could share how you added .net 3.5 SP1 to your image I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll hack away until I get it done (i downloaded the stand alone from MS but it failed during the image task sequence. I'm thinking there has to be a configuration manager 'add roles or features' step that I can use

I simply enabled it before I captured it(capture media...not Build and Capture). Here are how others are doing it to add to Pigd0g suggestion above

I've got it to image, but it's basically missing every driver with the exception of the USB-ETH driver. Touchscren, etc doesn't work. I'm assuming my packages are created wrong. I switched up how I install drivers. I'm trying that now. Can one of you walkthrough how you created the KB, Root Cert, and Bios update packages? Are where they need to be placed in relation to the task sequence.

After this next deploy I will dig in SMSTs.log and see what's going wrong.

Hi Zemerick

It has been a while since I imaged these devices and the guide on page 1 of this discussion details how it was achieved. But looking at the image of the TS on the guide it shows the order in which the tasks should be. If you are using the guide then they should be in this order:

• Install the KB update
  • Copy the BIOS update locally to device
  • Install the root cert update
  • execute the previously copied BIOS update
  • Restart Computer

All these in this sequence are placed directly after the setup windows and configMgr task. The guide also gives the commands that will execute the installation for each of the packages.

Thanks for the info. I've managed to get a bit further. Now at the step where you install the package KB update (first step after Setup Configuration Manager) It looks like the KB is installed, but it never returns a code to say it's finished. . . In my SMSTS.log file i see multiple repetions of "Waiting for job status notification. . ." and the task sequence is hung at "Install ElitePad KB Package"

package is setup as you instructed in the first post.

task sequence is hung at "Install ElitePad KB Package"

This task does take quite a while as stated in the guide and it will also restart the device after completion!

Maybe try the command without the /norestart switch as it does restart regardless....