goudviske

Trying to deploy Win 8 ENT to HP Elitepad 900

Hi,

Short version:

Tried deploying win 8 to HP Elitepad tablet computers.

When trying to deploy over PXE, I encountered some issues (more here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8045-trying-to-deploy-over-pxe-uefi-x86-with-wds-2012/), I think they're related to pxe booting a x86 uefi machine, which my wds 2012 doesn't seem to like...

After a couple of days I thought why not try to deploy it over USB, created a task sequence, configured media on the WDS and tried deploying it. At first I hit some issues related to disk partitioning, that seemed to be resolved, but maybe it isn't entirely.

What happens now is:

- Elitepad boots on USB

- Task sequence performs a few tasks

- prepares

- formats the disk (uefi)

- injects drivers

- uses imagex to expand the previously captured .wim

- reboots

Then when rebooting I get a new style of blue screen.

This shows:

the operating system couldn't be loaded because a critical system
driver is missing or contains errors
file: \windows\system32\drivers\megasas2.sys
Error Code: 0xc000035e
I suppose it has something to do with drivers for the storage controller, but I don't quite get what's wrong, the drivers are installed correctly in the .wim, so after restoring that should be ok, and also they are injected during the earlier phases.
I think it may have something to do with which partition is active, but I can't seem to get it resolved.
Any thoughts/ideas/... ?
Thanks

Ok nevermind that, seems I needed to add some generic drivers to the .wim file

Installation does proceed now but seems to be stuck at the Welcome / Login screen

You see

Machine\Administrator

Circle thing turning Welcome

Then after a long time, you get:

Unable to find litetouch.wsf needed to continue this deployment

Any thoughts ?

Just started this partcular model and so far it has been very painful to say the least. I eventually got it PXEing by installing SCCM 2012 sp1 CU1 to my site server, there is additional functionality within this update that allows you to PXE boot this type of device. Have to say once installed it PXE'd as it should...bit slow though.

Next barrier was the famous restart after the boot.wim has been downloaded(even after injecting the winPE4.0 into the new boot.wim). I had to also inject the management pack into the wim file which contains network drivers and storage drivers. Now my task sequence is selectable.(Eventually)

After a few attempts the partioning did'nt seem to be right, it bombed out when trying to apply the OS. A few tweeks to the partitions and I have it just imaging now,(applying OS as i write).....I am doubtful for a successful OSD as there are a couple of other steps that HP reccommend after the winPE enviornment, it consists of 2 seperate packages, a root certificate update and a BIOS firmware update.

Time will tell.

EDIT: Well it finished but failed at the root certificate installation ( I see why...a typo mistake on my behalf).....Other than this the device is functional bar a few drivers missing which are hopefully contained within the 2 extra packages that HP recommend.

goudviske If you need to get PXE working you will have to install CU1.

Just after successfully imaging 5 HP elitepad 900s' (UEFI) via PXE with windows 8 x86, all drivers and other software installed also with task sequence.

Will try and post a basic guide of steps required if time is on my side...

Rocket Man

Can you just clarify how you installed in UEFI Mode in x86 mode when Microsoft have stated outright that UEFI isn't supported in their x86 OS'?

Well it definitely shows an EFI partition in disk management on my imaged ElitePads with windows 8 x86

Partition1: 300mb (Recovery)

Partition2: 500mb (EFI)

Partition3: xxGB Windows ©

Would I be right in saying that this is an EFI build?

Have been busy creating images for other new devices this week so have not had a chance to get this basic guide done.

Niall gave a good post on the windows surface pro, it is very similar to this but obviously drivers are different and a few other steps that HP recommend(1 of which needed to be altered to suit my enviornment).

EDIT: And just to add HP dont supply drivers for windows8 x64 for these systems!

HERE IS HOW I SUCCESSFULLY IMAGED THE HP ELITEPAD 900 via SCCM 2012 SP1 CU1

For those of you who are eager to get PXE working with this type of device you will have install CU1 on your SCCM server. It is a relatively easy install. Once installed you can deploy the client/console updates as you wish (I haven’t done either as of yet).

The first thing to do is get the HP drivers for this device from here

Basically I just downloaded the Manageability Packs (WinPE4.0 and x86 Driver Pack).

I created a driver pack out of the following folders that were extracted from the driver pack sp61365

• Software - System Management
  • Driver – Storage
  • Driver – Network

DO NOT leave the Driver - Firmware and Chipset folder in this driver package. A package has to be created out of this and deployed with the task sequence after WinPE environment. (There is a pdf file contained within this folder and a driver file which needs to be extracted).

DO NOT leave the Operating System – Enhancement folder in the driver package either as this empty anyway and gives guidance on another task that has to be carried out after WinPE environment also. (Will cover this in the Task sequence explanation in a bit.)

For testing purposes I created a new x86 boot.wim specifically for Win8 deployment and injected the HP WinPE4.0 driver pack into it and I also added the drivers from the previously created driver pack also.

With this now done your HP ElitePad should be booting now and picking up any available task sequences!!

Now to the good part of getting ready the extra packages needed to successfully deploy these devices.

Download the following update Windows8-RT-KB2756872-x86.msu from here and create a package out of it with a command line as so wusa.exe Windows8-RT-KB2756872-x86.msu /quiet /norestart.

From the Driver - Firmware and Chipset folder that was downloaded with the driver pack, extract the sp60725 file. This will have quite a few folders and files all of which are needed and a package created from, there is no need to create a program for this package as HP recommend a run command line to initiate the installation according to the PDF file that comes accompanied with it. (I changed this as you will see, for my own purposes).

It is also recommended that you create a package out of the root cert update that can be got from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125. Create another package out of it with a program command line like this rootsupd.exe /Q.

Distribute all of these packages out to your DPs.

If you haven’t already done so, which I can assume you already have is create a windows8 x86 image from the media and import it into SCCM. I did not use the standard install.wim from the media but instead built an image on a Hyper-V VM via the OEM media and installed .net3.5 features (for my own needs) before capturing it again.

Now create your windows 8 Task sequence and select the appropriate wim image. You should have a Task sequence that looks like so:

HPElite.PNG

Sorry for the bad images!!

Attach your driver package and appropriate query. And now attach the extra packages in the order seen below:

Capture.PNG

The first step after setup operating system is to install the KB update. This will take a while and will restart your system even though the norestart switch has been specified in the command line. The second step which I altered for my own purposes was to copy the contents of the BIOS Update package which we created from the sp60725 file. This is a run command line like so

xcopy “.\*.*” “C:\BiosUpdate” /D /E /C /I /Q /H /R /Y /S

Don’t forget to reference the BIOS update package within the run command line task!!

Next step is attach the root cert update package. Now we have to install the Bios Update that we copied to the local system in the previous step. This is done with a run command line step and a command like so:

C:\BiosUpdate\FDSetup.exe –s –f

This will execute the Bios Update locally on the system and it will take a while. It is recommended to place a restart command after this task also which I have done. And then after this I created a script that will delete the BiosUpdate folder from the C:\ drive because space is already problem with my devices…… 32GB!!!

NB* The reason as to why I copied the Bios update folder locally and then executed it with a run command line is because I access content directly from the DP. Doing these steps allowed me to continue my OSD task sequence via accessing the DP instead of downloading all content locally first(which is slow), but if you go by HP guides from within the accompanied pdf this is how you have to deploy your Task sequence(download all content locally) otherwise it will fail at the BIOS update installation!

Dallan.R

Wow that's impressive. You're correct - the partition structure appears to be in UEFI mode. Does it show up as a "Windows Boot Manager" device in the Boot Devices list in the BIOS?

Will check this out when I am back in the office later on today and get back.

Seems to be everyone was having problems imaging these devices, I even had our HP supplier making enquiries to my superior yesterday asking to give details on how I imaged it. Well there it is, hopefully it will help others out!!

Thanks for the guide, thats awesome! I am just about to start experimenting imaging these devices with SCCM 2012. One question, does an SCCM OSD that partitions the hard drive wipe out the Factory Restore information on the Elitepad, or is it protected?

I've never imaged tablets before, so I was hoping that this functionality would still be there as a lifeline if it blows up.

Thanks

Rosy_55

I'd say it wipes it due to my own 2 days of pain trying to image them, when mine failed initially there was no boot options at all, the device was totally wiped :wacko: .

Just to let you know you will not get these devices imaged with SCCM 2012 your setup has to be SCCM 2012 SP1 with CU1. The DP/PXE server also has to be built on server 2012.

Rocket Man

Awesome, thanks again. I think our SCCM infrastructre is at that level already, but I will check with the guy that builds the servers.

Thanks

Rosy_55

Hi,

I tried using you excellent guide to deploy Windows 8 Enterprise to one of our Elitepads, but it fails when applying the firmware update package with an error 1602. I then tried applying the Firmware package manual, but i still get an error 1602 - anyone knows how to fix this?

nimmer

Never came across this problem.....Have you installed any other software previously to doing the extra requirements?

Are you sure the KB Update has installed correctly before it trys to install the BIOS update?

Yes I'm sure the KB update gets applied and installed correctly before I try to install the BIOS update with the FDSetup.exe. The FDSetup keeps failing with an error 1602. But then I tried running the setup.exe from the Package subfolder, and then all the drivers gets installed.??

nimmer

Thanks for the above info am about to recieve a lot of these to image assumed it was going to be the same as a laptop :S

Question though, have read the below whitepaper

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/bsc-274/173005/2/SystemCenter.pdf

However we are running our site server on 2008r2 and the white paper states you need server 2012....

Anyone know if this will work: build a new PXE DP on server 2012 and leave site server on 2008R2?

Anyone know if this will work: build a new PXE DP on server 2012 and leave site server on 2008R2?

Yes you can run a Server 2012 for PXE Deployment on a 2008 R2 Domain

@Rocket Man -- I've followed your instructions to the letter. (Twice) I have a brand new Elitepad 900, it never gets an IP I just get the "Network Not Found" msg. I have a 2012 Server setup with SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2. I never even get an IP on this device. Here is what I see in SMSPXE.log

Client boot action reply: <ClientIDReply><Identification Unknown="0" ItemKey="2046820353" ServerName="" ServerRemoteName=""><Machine><ClientID>4a5eeafc-0134-44b7-aa60-1d749a57328f</ClientID><NetbiosName/></Machine></Identification><PXEBootAction LastPXEAdvertisementID="" LastPXEAdvertisementTime="" OfferID="OCS20006" OfferIDTime="7/30/2013 12:30:00 PM" PkgID="OCS00019" PackageVersion="" PackagePath="http://OCS12.ocboe.local/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/OCS00005" BootImageID="OCS00005" Mandatory="0"/></ClientIDReply>
SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218)
6C:3B:E5:85:60:D8, B2F8FB8B-0000-1000-811D-05D3970180FF: found optional advertisement OCS20006 SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218) Looking for bootImage OCS00005 SMSPXE 7/31/2013 12:28:14 PM 4632 (0x1218)

Am I missing something? Every other device receives an IP and boots / OSD fine. I'm at a true stand still it was only by a miracle I stumbled on this article

*EDIT* for some reason CU2 would not install before CU1 so I installed CU1 and the tab PXE booted. . . continueing on, thanks.!

I installed CU1 and the tab PXE booted. . . continueing on, thanks.!

Good stuff! :)

Good stuff! :)

New issue is after I imported those driver packs into the boot image, I get the error \Windows\System32\Drivers\iastorA.sys was not found

I've taken it out of the boot image, re-added, and redistributed. How do you troubleshoot this?

New issue is after I imported those driver packs into the boot image, I get the error \Windows\System32\Drivers\iastorA.sys was not found

I've taken it out of the boot image, re-added, and redistributed. How do you troubleshoot this?

I am working on an SCCM deployment for the HP ElitePad as we speak. Testing this week.

The issue I am running into right now is, as soon as the OS starts "Setup Windows and Configuration Manager" I get a "Installation drive does not meet requirements" in the X:\Windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\WindowsSetupLogs\setuperr.log. The generic task sequence error code is 0x80004005. A google search for that + elitepad yeilds an HP site saying "Install CU1 for SCCM 2012 SP1 on a Server 2012 OS". Excellent advice except I have CU2 installed. Dead end.

Anyway, to respond to your issue: I had the exact same error. I removed all the storage drivers from the WIN PE 4.0 Driver pack from the boot image and I got past this issue. I suspect that the newest drivers have issues so maybe I'll go back to the February 2013 set and try those (per the SCCM deployment PDF). I'm working off a hodge podge (one set from july 2013 if i recall correctly) of drivers and I get those errors and my error I described above - maybe they are all related.

Side note for anyone else starting this process: The Win PE 4.0 networking drivers (only has SMSC sub folder) aren't enough to get the proper device driver for the usb to ethernet in the version of the Elitepad I'm working with. I took ALL the drivers (broadcom, nxp, qualcomm, and smsc from the Windows 8 Elitepad x86 Driver Pack) and added them to the boot image and it allowed me to start the task sequence (aka: get past 'Preparing networking connections' in Win PE).

For the guy that posted his step by step, it is appreciated! I'll attempt those steps and scrap my currently deployment attempt including dumping all drivers and my captured image (didn't have the Windows 8 KB in it).

For an "enterprise ready" device, this elitepad via sccm insanely nitpicky about it's setup... (To be fair, Windows 8 is as well. Lets hope 8.1 is a major improvement!)

Update:

Random error that is worth sharing: My 0x80004005 error i was getting is a generic error.

Using F8 and looking at the X:\Windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\smsts.log I find the following (Note: you can only open this log if you click 'Restart now' to dismiss windows in SCCM. It won't restart until you close the command prompt but it will release the smsts.log file lock so you can open it):
After applying the OS (the very last step), it appears the system is attempting to reboot using a C++ file that it cannot find. It is looking on the E drive for some reason.

In the format UEFI task sequence step, I added the 'Make boot drive' to disk 0 GPT which resolved the issue. (Shown below with most of the deployment task sequence I used (minus applications/packages):

post-21135-0-48343100-1376245781_thumb.png

(Since I'm in a sharing mood: for those of you curious about the misspelled 'Assign C:\ Boot Drive' this is a left over from Windows 7. I didn't try the task sequence without it but I suspect i still needed it. See here for details.)

Another side note: when capturing the windows 8 image, i noticed it made a 1-1 and a 2-2 image. 2-2 had my OS. I didn't run into any issues because i noticed this but it is easy to miss otherwise.

Back to the iaStorA issue: I retried adding all the drivers to the boot image andhit the same error again. Again i removed the drivers from the boot image (They are still available in the apply device driver task sequence step, just not injected into the x86 Boot Image).

Here are the drivers in my boot image:

post-21135-0-69909700-1376245640_thumb.png

I believe my deployment is mostly successful, waiting for it to finish but it seems to be progressing nicely.

Deployment successful. On to testing and installing apps for compatibility issues. Two drivers missing on install. I'll hunt those down later.

Rocket Man: if you could share how you added .net 3.5 SP1 to your image I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'll hack away until I get it done (i downloaded the stand alone from MS but it failed during the image task sequence. I'm thinking there has to be a configuration manager 'add roles or features' step that I can use.