labch

Win8 - ask for computer name - mysysprep2 not working :(

Question

Hi guys.. I use thick images at my workplace because we don't have the infrastructure to do wds, lite or zt installs.. we've been using ghost forever :(

I am trying to have windows 8 ask me for a computer name and join a specified domain.. the way i did it before was using MySysprep2 with the variables <computer>% input pc name%</computer> on my unattended, but it looks like MSP2 does not work with windows 8 ..

does anyone have an alternative that will allow me to input the pc name before joining an existing domain?

needless to say i also have this on my xml file:

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-UnattendedJoin" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Identification>
<Credentials>
<Domain>student.local</Domain>
<Password>something</Password>
<Username>domainjoinaccount</Username>
</Credentials>
<JoinDomain>student.local</JoinDomain>
<MachineObjectOU>OU=WorkStations,DC=STUDENT,DC=LOCAL</MachineObjectOU>
<DebugJoin>true</DebugJoin>

</Identification>

thank you for your time.

1 answer to this question

You might want to look into using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). MDT acts as a common console for all of your images; plus, it’s free and it can be used to deploy Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2008 and Windows 2008R2. Using MDT, you can easily add both applications and drivers, manage Windows updates, create task sequences, prompt for a computer name, join a domain, add a KMS or MAK product key, create an administrator account, specify time zone, etc. You can also import all user data into the new environment using the User State Migration Tool (also free). In addition to creating standard client task sequences, you can create sysprep and capture task sequences that will do just that – sysprep and capture an image of your reference machine.

To become familiar with the process of using MDT, you might want to check out these videos from the Springboard Series page on TechNet:

Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012

Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced

You can also create bootable media directly from MDT since you will not likely go with the PXE boot method. Upon booting into the LiteTouchPE environment, you can select the image you wish to deploy, which task sequence you wish to use and then proceed to enter the necessary computer name and domain you wish to join.

Also, if you don’t already have the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8, I strongly recommend downloading it today. You will specifically want to pay special attention to the Windows System Image Manager (WSIM) as it offers an easy to use interface for editing your unattend.xml file. The Windows ADK will also come in handy if you go the MDT route.

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your progress!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

• Like 1