anyweb

Install a SUP on remote server

Question

In this guide I assume that you have installed and configured SCCM and have it all working ok. This guide assumes that you have installed another Server running Windows Server 2008 and that it is joined to the same domain that SCCM is joined to.

Note: The Remote SUP can handle connections from up to 25,000 client computers. If there are more client computers you can configure the active SUP to use an NLB cluster which can handle connections up to 100,000 computers.

Step 1. install IIS 7.0 on your WSUS server

Start the Server Manager (click Start, click Run, and then type CompMgmtLauncher).

In the tree view, select Roles, then in the Roles pane click Add Roles.

server_manager.jpg

In the Add Roles Wizard, click Select Server Roles, select the Web Service (IIS) check box, click Next, and then click Next again. You may see a message box Add features required for Web Server (IIS)? Click Add Required Features.

web_server_iis.jpg

In the Select Role Services window, make sure that the following services are selected:

* Common HTTP Features (including Static Content)

* ASP.NET, ISAPI Extensions, and ISAPI Features (under Application Development)

* Windows Authentication (under Security)

* IIS Metabase Compatibility (under Management Tools, expand IIS 6 Management Compatibility)

role_services.jpg

Click Next, and then review your selections. Click Install, and finally click Close when done.

close.jpg

Note: you can also review Technets Page on configuring IIS for WSUS.

Im sorry to open up an old post but I followed the steps in the guide and verified that the WSUS amdin console was installed on my SCCM server. I added the SCCM computer account as a local admin to the WSUS box and as a WSUS admin. However when I run the synchronization i get the following under my SMS_WSUS_SYNC_Manager status messages "SMS WSUS Synchronization failed.

Source: CWSyncMgr::DoSync.

The operating system reported error 2147500037: Unspecified error"

Is there something else I need to do. I did NOT add my SCCM server as an SUP only the WSUS server after adding it as a site system. Also in our environement we only have one SCCM server with all the roles since we are a fairly small shop. I also verified the ports are the same for both servers.

I think we have the same setup as Drewgon. This is what I am working on getting working:

downstream WSUS --> Firewall --> WUS/SUP --> SCCM (WSUS/SUP attaches to another WSUS server for it's updates)

I am a little confused when configuring the role and say whether is connects to MS for updates or an Upstream server. When configured for an upstream server I get errors. Am I actually configuring the WSUS settings on the WSUS server from the SCCM when setting this role?

Thanks

My SCCM SUP server is behind a proxy server that requires a username and password. The password is passed in clear text. WSUS has a check box to allow for this: Allow Basic Authentication, but SCCM does not have the same, so every time SCCM updates the WSUS proxy settings, the check box is cleared.

I am using SCCM SP2 R3 and WSUS SP2 and on both servers i have windows 2008 R2.

Any help will be highly appropriated.

thanks

Hello:

I´m trying to make a implementation of WSUS/SUP in my SCCM 2012 lab. I have 1 CAS and 2 primary sites (one for servers and one for intranet clients). I have to implement WSUS and I´m planning to put it under NLB. So I have deploy 2 Windows 2008 Servers, joined them to the domaind and I have installed WSUS 3.0 SP2. I have installed and configured NLB with these two machines. After that, from the primary site Configuration Manager 2012 console I have added one new site system server with the MP and SUP roles. In the Primary Site-->Site Configuration-->Sites i have configured the Software Update Point component with these settings:

- Use Network Load Balancing cluster for active siftware update point

- Put th NLB IP adress and the ports (8530 and 8531 in my case because I have a custom web site for WSUS).

- An account with privileges.

I have several doubts about this schema:

1) firstable, is the rigth way to make this type of implementation?

2) In the primary site there´s no WSUS installed, only SUP role. Is this correct? Do I have to install WSUS 3.0 SP2? Full installation or only administration console?

3) The CAS server is the only active software update point. It´s OK?

Any help about this would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Ivan

Hello,

i have SCCM 2007 (mixed mode) installed on windows server 2008 R2 and i have WSUS installed on a remote windows server 2008 R2. i am trying to run synchronization from software deployment with no luck and it seems that wsus is not taking the products to download from SCCM as if it is not seeing SCCM (WSUS properties are different than Software Updtae Point Component Properties in SCCM). i have the following scenario:

System Site1 ("Specify FQDN for this system site on the intranet" is checked and the FQDN of the SCCM server is used as Intranet FQDN) on which i added the Software Update Point as Non active.

System Site2 ("Specify FQDN for this system site on the intranet" is checked and the FQDN of the WSUS server is used as Intranet FQDN) on which i added the Software Update Point as active

i installed full WSUS on WSUS server while on SCCM server i installed WSUS administration console and it is connected to WSUS server (WSUS using port 8530 and 8531)

In the component configuration General Tab "Active Software update point on remote server" is checked with "Port number" and "SSL Port number" being 8530 and 8531 respectively while "Active Server Name" is WSUS server name (Different than WSUS site server name). in the Sync Settings Tab "Synchronize from Microsoft Updates" is checked.

I am not using SSL for WSUS and i have no proxy running.

Every time i try to synchronize i get the error in the event viewer: WSUS server not configured

Any suggestions?