JuhaK

Achitecture question about PXE DP (RODC/DA)

Question

Hi,

Hmm, I want to get OSD working from our office where all machines are connected to domain via direct access. There is no domain network available or any servers. So I was wondering if it is possible to install RODC, which is connected to domain via Direct Access, and then I install WDS and distribution point with PXE boot on that RODC. After that I could use that RODC as PXE dp point and install our OSD images from it with pxe boot.

Another question, if I have normal desktop workstation I want to use as RODC (machine has 1 nic, maybe wireless also if using laptop).. How can I practically use it there... IF I machine was laptop, I could probaly use wireless connection for Direct Access connection to domain network and install DHCP on server and direct dhcp pool to LAN port... next I could put some small desktop switch on the lan port when there was couple of LAN ports for OSD machines...

I don't know, somehow this sounds little... weird.. Please help me to understand how can I achieve my goal here!

Using SCCM2012 SP1 if it matters here, also RODC would be 2008R2 or 2012

-Juha

3 answers to this question

I would never install SCCM roles on a DC of any flavor. How many clients are you looking to support in the branch office? I would create the RODC independently and then configure a Windows 7 client as a distribution point if you have the available HD space, can ensure the machine stays persistently connected, and that your client load is not that large.

the need here is only OSD and RODC is needed to get Direct Access to work. We install here 5-20 machines / month..

I need at least server 2008R2 for dp because win7 can't be used for pxe boot.. I don't think customer wants to pay for 2 server licenses only for osd.. That's why I'm installing sccm roles for rodc..

But if someone kindly could answer my second question here.. How it really goes in practically.. If I have a desktop workstation with server 2008R2 as rodc and pxe dp. Server is connected to domain via Direct Access.. how can I put it here to serving for my needs. The new pc's I'm installing can't be connected to office network because it's different network (not customers).. Should there be 2 NIC so that another is connected to network (DA/domain) and another is connected to basic desktop switch and then I connect new computers to that switch and I can boot them for pxe.. Of course in that case I need to install dhcp also in pxe dp server.. . someone? :)

Thanks!

-Juha

Okay.. I don't know how to proceed here. windows 7 has this offline domain join tool (djoin.exe) but I'm not quite sure if it is right tool here or not. If someone with more experience could please help me here?! :)

For clarifying my case I've done this basic picture.. How can I accomplish my task for OSD here at office so that I don't need to manually create open vpn connections for getting Direct Access to work? Please advice!

-Juhapost-18345-0-55789500-1369634873_thumb.jpg