Iroqouiz

Automatic Deployment Rules "delete" updates from SUG

Hi,

I've noticed something odd about my Windows Updates. I have ADRs which run on Patch Tuesday, one for Windows 7, 8, Office 2010 and 2013. The updates are placed in four respective Software Update Groups. It seems like older updates are removed from those SUGs.

The rules have been in place since the beginning of January. Right now there should be a few dozen updates in this SUG but there are only two.

76geDw4.png

If I filter all my updates like below (to double check that the updates aren't expired/superseded) it finds 24 updates. Why aren't these in my SUG above?

5g7JPb4.png

The ADR is set to add updates to an existing SUG. Here are the filters.

u5wUdGt.png

I can't figure out what's happening. My goal was to not really have to pay updates any attention but it seems like I now have to spend time double-checking that all my updates are deployed correctly.

What is the filter rule released or revised during last day good for? This will only work if you create a new update group with every execution of the ADR. If you are using a single update group for the ADR this will mess it up. Rather add another option to remove superseeded updates.

It's set to only download the Patch Tuesday updates, according to the guide on this forum. But hadn't noticed he creates a new update group every time. Will try that. Thank you.

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6799-using-system-center-2012-configuration-manager-part-9-deploying-monthly-updates/

Hi,

I came by this topic after searching for the actual behaviour of the ADR.

Microsoft indeed suggests to create a new deployment group each time when your ADR runs to keep it below the 1000 update limit. What I want to do is to create ADRs per Server OS (2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2) and filter on all Critical, Security and general updates with an additional filter to exclude Itanium. This results in something like 250 to 450 updates depending on the OS. So far so good. But because I want only one package which is updated each cycle, I though of not setting any date requirement, but instead setting Superseded to No to clean up the old updates and only keep the actual updates for that OS in the deployment package.

But will this work as I think it works? Will it add the new updates every month and remove superseded update? But will it also keep the current updates?

Is this a way to keep the servers up to date with all available updates? Or should I really work with a baseline package that is updated each month and an ADR package that takes the monthly delta?

Thanks