pedropony

WDS Client login

Question

Hi,

I have created a Windows 7 image and have deployed to my first client for testing.

The image was joined to the domain and the client has been cretaed in AD automtaically so looks good, however no option to log in to domain, juts have the local user option on startup. When I log in as local user, I can see it is part of the domain.

Obvioulsy dont want to have to join workgroup, then domain again to fix it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

3 answers to this question

You need to make Windows 7 join the domain.

If you want to do it as a part of the deployment check your autounattend file and add the relevant options to that and the system will automatically join the domain.

As Btag stated, you will need to ensure that the system is properly joined to the domain. I know you stated that you were able to join the machine to the domain but just to double check you will want to read the TechNet library article, Join the Computer to the Domain for assistance with this process.

Also, you will also likely benefit from the TechNet article, Automating the Domain Join, as it explains the process of editing your unattend file to automate the process of joining a domain.

Finally, when looking for a solution to your problem I came across this TechNet forums thread in which a few members suggest various ways to properly logon to the system as a domain user. Typically speaking, you will select the option to connect as an “other user” from within the Windows 7 logon welcome screen. When prompted for another user, you should see a username and password field. In the user name field you will type the following information in the following format:

domainname\username

As far as the password field is concerned, you will type the password for the domain user in to the password field.

Also, for additional information on managing domains and configuring Windows Client you might want to check out the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Hi,

Kindly help me on this issue. Am struggling for a week to create a answer file for the below criteria:-

I want the an answer file to prompt for the Credentials to join the domain and computer name should be taken automatically from the guid.

Am using wds for deployment

widows 2008 R2 server

dhcp, DNs

Kindly help me ...