btdag

WDS Intel NIC

Question

Hi

I'm having some issues deploying to a new Intel NIC. The NIC is based upon the Intel I217 chipset. It keeps giving the error that DHCP could not be assigned (WdsClient: An error occurred while obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server) which basically tells me that it hasn't got the network driver included. I am unable to add the driver to WDS though as it gives the error seen in the pictures.

The driver is the latest driver straight from Intel and I've also tried the Windows Update driver (which is the same one) and it gives the same message.

Any ideas how to get this driver listed?

It seems to be with Windows 8 x64 drivers only? Does WDS have an issue with Windows 8 drivers?

post-20194-0-35550100-1368538604_thumb.png

post-20194-0-52760800-1368538605_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

Double click on the failed package name (in the first screen), and you can see details about that package. In those details you will see that this package is unsigned. You can also get more detail on the failure by trying to add the package manually. For example, from an administrative command prompt, use this command and replace “PathToDriver.inf” with the actual path to the driver and keep the quotes around it:

WDSUTIL /verbose /Add-Driver Package /InfFile:”PathToDriver.inf”

For this driver package, it returns:

Error code: 0xC10301B3

Error Description: This driver package is not signed. X64-based driver packages must be signed in order to be added to the Windows Deployment Services Server.

This is also verified in the TechNet article ‘Troubleshoot Failed Packages’. x64 based driver packages must be signed.

However, it might be possible for you to add the drivers to an offline image using DISM. The TechNet article “Add and Remove drivers offline” has an example of the DISM command to add drivers and uses the /ForceUnsigned switch:

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\drivers\mydriver.INF /ForceUnsigned

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

The Springboard Series on TechNet