rustychuck

SCCM 2012 migration - client pointing to 2007 management point

We seem to having a rather strange issue with our SCCM 2012 Client when installed using the Task Sequence, in that it keeps 'rotating' to our 2007 management point. We are in the middle of migrating to SCCM 2012 and still have our old 2007 server running as well. I thought maybe we have an issue with how the management points are configured but if we install the client via the 'Client Push' method we do not have the issue. We are currently using the following switches when installing the client using the 'Setup Windows and ConfigMgr' step in the Task Sequence:

RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE SMSSLP=[service Locator Point] SMSMP=[Management Point] FSP=[Fallback Status Point]

I checked the ClientLocation.log and it has multiple entries for the following:

Rotating assigned management point, new management point [1] is: [2007 Management Point] (7804) with capabilities: <Capabilities SchemaVersion="1.0"><Property Name="SSLState" Value="0"/></Capabilities>

Does anyone know if there are any other logs which may point me in the right direction please? I have been looking on the internet for guidance but cannot find this problem anywhere.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? We thought it may be our WIM we are using or something in our task sequence but as yet cannot find anything. It could also be a potential bug in SCCM 2012 - but I need to know if anyone else has had this problem?

We have done some further testing and it appears that Windows 8 does not have this issue. It only appears to be Windows 7. If we build a Windows 7 machine it sits in an unmanaged state. In the LocationServices.log it keeps saying 'Checking quarantine status' for the network adapter.

Further testing has proven that it is a Windows 8 issue as well. We have spoken to Microsoft Engineers who have said our problem is because we have overlapping boundaries. We are not convinced this is the issue as we have 'Use this boundary group for Site Assignment' ticked on our SCCM 2012 server and the equivalent enabled on 2007. We have checked the LocationServices logs on both 2007 and 2012 clients and can see the client being offered either server and it checks the client version against the version the server will accept and it declines the offer for the other version, so therefore it is not an overlapping boundary issue. The client is being offered the correct information, it is the client not accepting the information the server is offering it.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? We have exactly the same symptoms. Our boundaries and boundary groups are correct - nothing overlapping.

A slight difference we are seeing is that we get this when using client push as well. The CM12 client clientlocation and locationservices look OK for a while and then they "rotate" back to the CM07 MP again. The assigned site always stays as specified to the CM12 site, but stil they get assined back to the CM07 MP.