mbourboin

SCCM 2007 Maintenance Windows?

Question

Hi there,

im not sure if it a good idea but here my problem.

I want to use sccm to deploy Internet Explorer 8 on some desktop, but i know if my user is browsing this will crash the installation. Internet explorer 8 need a reboot also....so i was thinking about a maintenance windows....Ive never used it....before!

My question, can we set a maintenance windows for 1 advertissement like a 1 shot deal....so my user will need to reboot then he/she will see the maintenance windows, that will install I.E 8 and then a reboot and it done and never repeat that windows maintenance if success......

Sorry for my english. ;-)

8 answers to this question

Hi,

A maintenance window is not related to the deployment itself it will affect allt advertisements on all clients in that Collection. So if you advertise Lync to a computer with a maintenance window the client will use that when executing the Lync advertisment to.

Regards,
Jörgen

In case if you are sure when your user is not going to be there ... you can schedule the installation in ctrl alt del mode

you can specify the advert start time along with the assignment time.

Put all the machines which needs IE 8 in collection and release the advert to the collection.

from my personal experience I can tell u that its not a good idea releasing IE or Java when user is logged in.