StefanWe

Beginning with SCOM 2012

Question

Hello,

i am a beginner with scom 2012. I installed it, i import some management packs, but i don't see or found, what i want.

For example, i have a hyper-v 2012 server with some vms running on it.

So i imported the hyper-v 2012 management pack with his dependencies like the default windows 2012 management packs.

I installed the scom agent on the hyper-v host and activate the proxy mode on that agent.

I see my hyper-v server in the scom console. But if i click on a vm i have no performance data (graphs) for this vm. I only want some basic performance counters like cpu performance or ram usage of the vms.

Not for the hole hyper-v host. Only for the individually vms.

Please, can someone explain me how i can solve this problem. I don't want to install an agent in every vm.

And, can someone tell me, where i can find some nice howtos for scom, like here on this page for sccm?

I think scom is a great product, but at the moment, it is a book with seven seals for me ;)

Thanks for your help.

4 answers to this question

StefanWe, just to make sure I clearly understand your environment and what you want to achieve, I'm going to attempt to summarize it.

You have a physical system running Windows Server 2012, with the Hyper-V role installed. On that Hyper-V host, you have 'X' number of VM's running on it. You are trying to get performance data (CPU usage, Memory, Network, Disk, etc.) about/from your VM's.

You didn't mention which Operating System (OS) your VM's are running, but I am assuming they are running a Windows Server OS. If this is so, then you DO need to install the SCOM Agent onto each VM that you want to collect this performance data from. The Agent Proxy setting won't allow you to collect performance data from Hyper-V VM's by just having the Agent installed on the host. See this posting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/a373b34d-9b01-486c-a4f2-4b1f19bea46e/why-enable-scom-proxy-agent-

Therefore, you will need to install the Agent onto each VM you want to collect data from. If you have a lot (i.e. you are in a Production environment), then if you can obtain a list, and copy/paste that into the Agent Deployment wizard, SCOM will use AD to validate/resolve the name/machine FQDN.

Let me know if you have any other SCOM questions, as that is my #1 tool out of the System Center suite that I specialize in.