anyweb

Windows 8 Start button is back.

Paul Thurrot can now confirm that most of the rumored coming changes to the Start experience in Windows 8.1 “Blue” are correct. And he's got a few screenshots to help demonstrate how these changes are implemented.

blue-start-hero.jpg

First up, please be sure to read Coming in Blue: Boot to Desktop, Start Button, and More. In that post, he describes a set of very credible rumors about some of the changes that Microsoft is making to the Windows 8.1 update. Since posting that, he has been able to confirm a number of the details that Mary Jo Foley initially revealed.

Start button

It’s back, baby. And if you are familiar with how Start 8 looks and works, this will look awfully familiar. Here, confirmed for the first time, is the Windows 8.1 Start button.

blue-desktop-closeup.jpg

blue-desktop.jpg

Note: Because you will ask: No, this wallpaper is not part of Windows 8.1.

And here’s a new detail that was hinted at in Mary Jo’s post: When you hover over Start button, the button changes color, with a black background and the accent color used on the flag logo. Yes, it looks exactly like the Start Charm, with similar animations.

And when you activate the Switcher app switching utility, the Start button will appear at the bottom as the Start tip does today, and has Start text in the box, as it does now.

Finally, in the Milestone Preview (MP) build of Windows 8.1, at least, there is no way to turn off the Start button. That could change.

Desktop wallpaper on the Start screen

As Mary Jo reported, you’ll be able to use your desktop wallpaper as the Start background too. It looks like so:

blue-start.jpg

However, this is off by default and needs to be enabled.

More as it comes in, though

Boot to desktop

Yep, it’s in there. And it’s off by default.

Enjoy!

via > http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-8/blue-start-experience-changes

This is a nice feature but I am not sure why everyone is upset with the change in the first place. To be honest Windows 8 both with a touch screen and non touch screen isn't hard to navigate.

My wife, who isn't at all very computer savy gives her Windows 8 laptop a "I like it" grade. I showed her a few shortcuts and within minutes my wife was able to grasp Windows 8 new GUI without complainst. In fact she noticed how much faster her laptop responded.

Just saying, not sure why so many complained about the new OS.

i agree, i think windows 8 works great as it is i see no need for adding anything 'back' to it,

I saw a HP laptop today running windows 8 with a 'classic start menu' app to simulate the old windows 7 start menu,

i mean, why bother !!!

I also have to agree. I have no idea why everyone is complaining about windows 8. My girlfriend and close friend are not computer shabby, and they like windows 8.My gf computer was faster and more responsive with win 8. I mean for goodness sakes you could always hit the windows key as the start button.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.