JuhaK

quick help needed! 1 x MDT 2012 server and two Deployment Shares / How to delete another DS?

Question

Hi,

I'm feeling such a newbie here now. I have Windows server 2008R2 with WDS and MDT 2012 SP1 installed. I created deployment share and configured it ready to work. Then I encountered some problems with it and decided to create new deployment share so I could "start from beginning".

I have imported new boot images from deployment share nr2 (disabled boot image from deployment share nr1).

I have upgraded new deployment share and recreated the boot images

Now when I pxe boot my test machine, I get only task sequences from deployment share number 1 and not from number 2 as I wish.

HOW Can I delete/remove deployment share number 1 that is no more needed?! Please help me !

Thanks!

- Juha

3 answers to this question

When you recreated your boot images, did you use those new ones to replace the current ones in WDS? Any time there are changes to the bootstrap.ini, the boot images must be re-created and the new ones have to replace the ones in use by WDS. The deployment share location is in the bootstrap.ini file.

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

The Springboard Series on TechNet

Hi! Thanks for replying!

I did recreate (add new) boot image to WDS from new deployment share (from DeploymenShare2\boot\litetouchx86.wim file) and I put original boot image offline in WDS. And after done that I made some changes to bootstrap.ini file and then upgraded deployment share and checked the recreate boot image setting. Didn't help :/

-Juha

From what you are writing, it seems that you are doing things in the wrong order. Replacing the boot images in WDS is the last thing that you should do.

1. Edit bootstrap.ini (either in the Control folder of the new deployment share, or by right clicking on the share name in MDT and choosing properties, rules tab, and clicking the button to edit the bootstrap.ini file)

2. recreate boot images

3. replace boot images on WDS with new boot images

The bootstrap.ini file is placed inside the boot images during the regeneration process. So you must edit it first, then regenerate, then replace boot images.

In the bootstrap.ini file, you should have a line that shows the path to the new deployment share (DeployRoot=\\Server\share$). The same line should also be in your Rules (which is also the customsettings.ini file in the Control folder).

Just to make sure this is all happening on the proper deployment share, please Close the old share (right click on the share name in MDT, and choose 'Close deployment share'. Then regenerate the boot images and replace in WDS.

Let me know how this goes!

Thanks,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

The Springboard Series on TechNet