AdinE

System Center 2012 Operations Manager SP1 - Introduction

Question

Hello All,

Inspired by the awesome SCCM 2012 guides, which were extremely helpful, and based on the numerous posts requesting guides on SCOM, I have decided to contribute to this site and create some.

As an FYI on my background, I hold many certifications, and have been working with System Center for several years. Although that may not seem like a lot, I am a firm believer in the number of years don't fully represent the depth of experience.

In my example, I worked with the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario, and specialized with SCOM. In fact it is the ONLY thing that I worked on for several years. Originally when I joined the Operations team, I had to re-build their SCOM environment from the ground up! It was such a mess, that even having Microsoft remote it to assist in fixing all the issues, agreed. As a testimony to my skill-set with SCOM, I rebuilt the entire environment in 2 weeks, when it took the original consultants 6 months! But, enough of my background, if you are interested in further details, please feel free to check out my LinkedIn profile: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/adinermie/.

So to start, my home lab is running Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V 3.0. I have a VM prepared (with Server 2012 as well); and have one VM for each of the System Center products. I will use my lab to write about the various System Center products.

So enough of my rambling, let's start working with SCOM 2012 SP1.

First up, pre-reqs and installation (stay tuned).

3 answers to this question

great stuff, please try and follow the 'flow' of this site with easy explanations of each step, best practice advice included if you can, and of course lots of screenshots

cheers

niall

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay, I've been really busy lately (starting a new job, etc.). I have the first part of the guide I am creating ready to post, I'm just having some issues with including the images. If anyone can educate me on how to include the images, so that you don't have a bunch of just text to look at, I'll be able to post the 'Installation Part A' for everyone.

UPDATE: In the interest of providing at least something to assist everyone, I have posted the first part on my own Wordpress blog, which is here: http://adinermie.wordpress.com/

UPDATE 2: Per request, I have posted within these forums, the first part of the guide. You can find it here: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8582-scom-2012-sp1-in-a-lab-installation-part-a-create-the-lab-environment/.

Enjoy, and I'm open to any feedback.