slice16

Software Update Location Preference

Question

Morning All,

Where can I force my clients to use my Internet Based DP that contains my SCCM updates? I have a large number of internet based machines (members of various untrusted domains) that have the client installed. They connect to SCCM, but when attempting to install updates that automatically go to Windows Update rather than the SCCM DP. SCCM does show up at a second location, but it seems to drop out before trying that.

Thanks

Paul

5 answers to this question

After some research, it doesn't look as though this is possible:(

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682168.aspx#BKMK_WhatsNew

When an Internet-based client receives a deployment, the client first tries to download the software files from Microsoft Update instead of distribution points. When the connection to Microsoft is not successful, clients fall back to a distribution point that hosts the software update files and is configured to accept communication from clients on the Internet.

Reading that, all my clients will need access to Windows Update to be able to use the SUP. As my clients aren't 'true internet' based clients (they are being managed over SSL on 443 for multi-tenancy) and may not have true internet access.

I can't think of a way round this issue :(

In your ADR rules, do you let it it download from Microsoft Update? I would make sure your rules specify "don't use Microsoft Update"... I have an IBCM that I'm working on getting my client machines which roam between internet and intranet to get their updates from the IBCM. They can do all their regular CM stuff over 443 just fine, they find the MP if you look in LocationServices.log on the client, do they find the IBCM?

My clients out on the internet absolutely do not pull from Microsoft Update, look in your c:\windows\windowsupdate.log you can see I uninstalled my 2007 client, and in the interim before the 2012 client was installed it got in it's head that it was going to go out to MS... But then you can see it says "update not allowed to download"

This should be possible unless I'm misunderstanding you. When I get my IBCM figured out I'll let you know, I'm having trouble getting the client to swap over from my intranet SUP point to the IBCM, even though software installs work fine.

2013-08-13 16:24:28:670 816 fe4 DnldMgr Regulation server path: https://update.microsoft.com/v6/UpdateRegulationService/UpdateRegulation.asmx.

2013-08-13 16:24:28:858 816 fe4 DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: New download job [updateId = {BF12E0F2-6E07-4A7A-99CD-401D7623E886}.201] ***********
2013-08-13 16:24:28:858 816 fe4 DnldMgr Regulation: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77} - Update BF12E0F2-6E07-4A7A-99CD-401D7623E886 is "Priority" regulated and can NOT download. Sequence 8829 vs AcceptRate 2074.
2013-08-13 16:24:28:858 816 fe4 DnldMgr * Update is not allowed to download due to regulation.

post-6999-0-88671800-1376438391_thumb.jpg

My window and highlight is from "Automatic Deployment Rules", but it looks like your window is from just a regular "package". I don't think you are in the same window... go to Software Updates/ Automatic Deployment Rules and right click on your ADR rule, that's how I got to that screen.