CanuckDave

SCCM 2012 - Application deployment target plannning

So I'm currently in the process of testing and planning out the migration from SCCM 2008 to 2012.

I love the new Software Center, having somewhere that users can request and install applications themselves is something that my company really wants to see.

My concern is this - if I make an application available to a large group of users, but only a small number are choose to install it, or are approved to do so, how would you handle deploying a new version or update, but only make it mandatory for those who already have it installed?

In SCCM 2007, the way I dealt with software that wasn't deployed to large collections, was to create a separate collection for each piece of software and add resources individually as they required it, then delete an advertisement for the old version of the software, and create a new advertisement for the new version so I could monitor the report and make sure that each instance it was already installed on was getting the new version pushed out, and any resources added to the collection would be getting the newest version.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Upon testing, I've realized that you can only target "Applications" to user collections (not computer collections), so I may have to rethink my deployment strategy, perhaps using AD security groups instead?

This brings up another question however, for an application with a limited number of licenses, is there any way to limit how many times an application can be deployed in SCCM?