Jump to content


Distribution Points failing to receive most content packages

Recommended Posts



First post and still getting my head around this all...

Windows Server 2008 R2 environment with SCCM 2012 SP1 (fresh install).

I have deployed a Primary site with 4 Distributions Points and was able to deploy boot packages, driver packages and small system image (1.5GB XP image as test) up until recently... (excluding 1 DP, it stopped after trasnferring only a couple of packages)

I am trying to distribute much larger files including a Adobe CS6 package (6.5GB) and a Win 7 image (13GB) and wonder if there is a limit? But the distribution point located on the primary site updates fine with all content I have thrown at it so far. Pull DP was enabled originally and then disabled for testing this problem on 1 or two DPs.


For the life of me I can't find an error relating to why this is happening. Maybe its me just looking in the wrong place?

Error logs on PS:

Sender.log - shows sending capacity as 0 out of 5 used.

PkgXferMgr.log - Sees the send request showing file in snapshot and uses 0 out of 8 threads then counts to the 100 retries before it deletes the send request.


After much googling I am still coming up empty handed... If anyone can provide me with what log files I need to concentrate on for this and any other tips I would appreciate it!


*note I just tried a small file and even this isn't working now to any but the PS.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to this. I decided to remove the Distribution point and re-add it on one of my site servers (followed by a reboot) and reinitiated a test package and received the below:


"Distribution Manager failed to connect to distribution point", possible solution was to ensure the machine account or site system installation account had admin privileges. But I have added the PS servers computer account to the administrators group on this distribution point...


Runing a query I get an message ID 4701. Interestingly its looking for a folder that isn't there. Perhaps it takes a little more time for it to become operational?

Site System Status Summarizer still cannot access storage object "\\SERVERQT02\D$\SMS" on site system "\\SERVERQT02". The operating system reported error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Possible cause: The site system is turned off, not connected to the network, or not functioning properly.
Solution: Verify that the site system is turned on, connected to the network, and functioning properly.

Possible cause: Site System Status Summarizer does not have sufficient access rights to connect to the site system and access the storage object.
Solution: Verify that the accounts are properly configured to allow the site to connect to the site system and access the storage object.

Possible cause: Network problems are preventing Site System Status Summarizer from connecting to the site system.
Solution: Investigate and correct any problems on your network.

Possible cause: You took the site system out of service and do not intend on using it as a site system any more.
Solution: Remove the site system from the list of site systems used by this site; this list appears under Site Systems in the Configuration Manager Console.

Possible cause: You accidentally deleted the storage object or took the storage object out of service.
Solution: The components will eventually detect that the storage object no longer exists on the site system and will either recreate it or choose a new storage object. Monitor the status messages reported by other site components to verify that this occurs properly.

The storage object has been inaccessible since "19/06/2013 1:00:06 p.m.". When you correct the problem and Site System Status Summarizer successfully accesses the storage object, Site System Status Summarizer will set the storage object's status to OK, providing that the storage object has sufficient free space.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Resolved this.

Had to remove my DP and then redeploy them.

Update to Rollup 1 for my PS

Install this hotfix from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2828900

I still had trouble with a large .wim file (unknown bits errors) after all this until I disabled the PullDP option.

And finally a bottle of whiskey to forget this experience.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.