Aurock

Application not available to select from list in "Install Application" task sequence step

I'm trying to add an application to be installed during our OSD task sequence. The application is already set up in SCCM and deployed to all workstations. The box is also checked to allow the application to be installed from "install applications" step when not deployed.

When I go to the "Install Applications" step in my task sequence and click the starburst button to add a new application to the list, I get a list of applications available in SCCM, but this one application is not in the list. Any idea why this might be?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. Checking the deployment type for this application, I'm showing Install Behavior is "Install for System", Logon Requirement is "Whether or not a user is logged on", and Installation program visibility is "Hidden".

Ok, you rock. That was exactly the issue, except that there were 2 deployment types, and only one was set incorrectly. The x86 version, which is rarely used, was set to only install if the user is logged on. Changing the setting in that deployment type fixed the problem.

Thanks!

No bother....Kinda makes sense if you sit back and think about it.....you are trying to deploy an app during OSD and have set it to only deploy only if a user is logged on Which a user will not be logged on during OSD thus the reason as to why ConfigMgr does not make it available for selection in the OSD Task sequence editor!! :)

I'm actually having the exact same problem. I've checked the deployment type - Installation behavior is set to "Install for system" & Logon requirement is "Whether or not a user is logged on".

My scenario is I'm trying to change an existing task sequence that currently installs MS Office 2010 to instead install Office 2013. I remove the 2010 application and try to add the 2013 app (which is located in the same place as 2010) and it's not shown as an option.

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

I'm actually having the exact same problem. I've checked the deployment type - Installation behavior is set to "Install for system" & Logon requirement is "Whether or not a user is logged on".

My scenario is I'm trying to change an existing task sequence that currently installs MS Office 2010 to instead install Office 2013. I remove the 2010 application and try to add the 2013 app (which is located in the same place as 2010) and it's not shown as an option.

Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

I know this is a late response, but wanted to throw something up here to check in case others come across this thread in the future. In the Application's properties, make sure "Allow this application to be deployed as part of a task sequence without being deployed." is checked. This being set on the application, as well as "Install whether or not the user is logged on" in the deployment type's properties should be all you need to install an App as part of the TS.

I found I was having this issue as well. I went through all of the steps listed above but this didn't fix the issue. After a little more digging I found that this application had a supersedence for another version. I removed the supersedence and is now available to add to the task sequence. Hope this helps!

After a lot of troubleshooting, I just figured out that the application must NOT have any Superintendence, remove them from the Superintendence tab. I just copied the desired application and redistributed it to desired DPs. This should not create extra traffic as DPs use Single Instance Storage (SIS) to avoid duplicating sources for similar apps. Cheers!

Hey,

I know this is an ancient post, but as it's one I searched for when receiving the "invalid application" message, I thought I'd share my findings.

It's not about supersedence as such.  Applications that have supersedence configured can be added to OSD Task Sequences.  But all application deployments in the supersedence chain must be configured for "Install for system" and "Whether or not a user is logged in".

If one or more of the superseded application deployments are not configured in this way the application is invalid for install during OSD Task Sequence.

HTH.

Steve.

Edited by Steve Carter
grammar