hyodoh

Question on deploying Java

Hey everyone, i was hoping someone could shed light on how to deploy java..

Now this is what i've done so far:

I found a tutorial on deploying java. What i did was create a package with source files, then deployed it out to test computers, it seemed like it worked. So then java came up w/ an update.. 7 u25, we had 7 u21, and now when we try to update it just crushes itself. And when we try to remove it we get missing dll errors.

So i found a thing somewhere saying to delete the reg key in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Now that seemed to let it update the install w/o any errors. but then as soon as we install the new version, it says we have no java on the computer. yet the 7 u25 is there...

Then another thing i've found was to run the install, go grab the MSI, and deploy that way..

Im afraid if i deploy it out that way, it will do the same, and everything will break....

So if anyone has a sure fire way of deploying java and could help me out that'd be awesome.

The way I deploy Java is to grab the msi and all other files associated with it in the temp directory after executing the exe file and create a package from them. See below:

java.PNG

Then the program command I use is:

msiexec /i "jre1.6.0_31.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /q /norestart

Not sure if you need all files bar the actual msi but I kept them within the package just incase!!

Hi,

I use the same way, except for command line :

- Extract msi from exe installer

- Command line: jre_1.7.0_25.msi IEXPLORER=1 STATIC=1 JU=0 JAVAUPDATE=0 /norestart /qn

IEXPLORER: Enable JRE for Internet Explorer

STATIC: Install JRE in a folder named with version, allowing to have multiple JRE installed

JU, JAVAUPDATE: Disable JRE auto-updates

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/silent-136552.html

Just wanted to add I use a program called ninite to install apps during SCCM Task Sequences. You can set this up once and it will always install the latest version of the required applications. You can find more information here http://ninite.com/. It is not expensive software and there are some very useful switches like /Select just to install certain applications and also /Cachepath so you dont need to download the apps for each task sequence you can use a network share.

Sweet thanks guys, i'll have to try some of this stuff, out, for some reason java just got pissed, but its really not that hard to fix, i just wanna make sure that we can update it after its been deployed. Not that its a big deal, but sending the update out ever few days will get kind of annoying =p

also, just curious, about the application vs package, what is the difference between the two in this example?