gigi74

wds probleme yellow excamation mark on the network card

Question

hi i am sorry to disturb you guys with my probleme.i use to use ris and i have no problem to configure this from command line also from wizard.

i have purchased windws server 2008 standard and i read the how to file then i find the graphic explanation here in windows noob.

i have folow the settings like was on the website but after restart i realize nothng works.i have tried few times but stil the same.

my quiestion is i would like to run wds on my server and also on that server gonna be the DNS and DHCP installed.loks like tere is some problem with dhcp and dns

could you please provide som right direction. i hve 2 network card one gigabyte and one 10/100 3 com in the server.i have tried manually installing and configuing the dns dhcp and wds with the activ dirctory.

thank you again for your time

follow the steps outlined here to get WDS working in Windows Server 2008

cheers

anyweb

hi yep i tried this and i have the same issue.thats why i write this post here otherwise i no gonna disturb people.

i have tried firs time without activating licence i was think if i do wrong i may reinstall.it cost me 560£ i was tempted to give this on linux but the people who gonna use this they r not good on linux just on microsoft.ut even microsoft don't keep standart just some new style with user friendly base andthat cause theproblem sometime.i was thinking is this the driver problem or the switch houpfly i kick this in bools in few days.

kind regards gigi

cheers

anyweb

hi

sorry to disturb you again i just went trough the instalation again but after when i do the active directory services when i restart the server i see in roles 2 yellow exlamation mark one is near active directory domain services and another near the dns. and also down on the panel ner the clock where is the network icon i have the yellow exclamation mark if i go on this icon with mouse i see currently connected to something.local and the acces:Limited Connectivity so i am a bit pissed off there is must be some hardware issue or wrong driver.otherwise i canot see there probleme.this is not my first server but i know server2008 is based on vista its not my favorite.

i was ok on 2003 and 2000 but this now going on my nervous few day.

could you please give me some advice if you have experienced the same fault?

cheers

anyweb

i just installed server 2008 on another server ibm e series and i folow your link but i have the sme probleme so i kow now is nothing with drivers dns no working also the active directory has failure.i just dont know why those ....people in microsoft no keeping standarts likein 2003 or in 2000 server was.

i am gessing it maybe a probleme in binds and also in ip settings.after adding active directory correctly and dns i got on lancard dhcp and the dns is the loop adress 127.0.0.1 i did the new scope but the dhcp works just the dns and the active directory not.

do you have any idea how to doit on this vista alias longhorn based server 2008 standard how to doit?

thank again

if DNS is not working then AD will not work properly either, get someone who understands DNS to help you, because without working DNS, SCCM will not work.

if DNS is not working then AD will not work properly either, get someone who understands DNS to help you, because without working DNS, SCCM will not work.

hi the probleme is with the steps. the wizards is not the best,sometime is best to folow the roles of standards (networking) with wizards you got ewerything default and even the backward and forwarders canbe set wrongly then bind translation dont work properly.i working on this now to create some how to do it file here for people like me(stupid) who see first time windows 2008.the proper dns work when is set correctly and also is 2 way with active directory or without.

hi

some mor news about this persist crazy failure.i did fresh installation of server 2008 standard start the server plug the ethernet cable to the switch and i got yellow exclamation mark on the network card icon with limited acces.this not change.i set the dns correctly name of server all the lookup forvarders etc etc same as how is all the time.i was even thinking maybe this software is not compatible with my server.after i set manually from dns to dhcp till active directory the problem still persist.if i do the sme on server 2003 all works from the first moment.i just thinking if enyone had crossed this probleme.

if you click on the network card icon what error does it say ?

Hi

the netvork icon on the taskbar near the clock has yellow triangle with exclamation mark if i go with mouse pointer cross this icon popup widow open with limited access word.the dns is perfectly configured also the static adresses and the name of server all correct i no doing this first time.i know i missing some point it reminds me when i use to do network on linux some wizards was crap you have to use the command line as root then the settings works.

when i disconnect on the fresh installation without configuring anything like dns dhcp or active directory the lan cable from the switch then the network icon crossed like normaly when the cable is unplugged but soon as i plug the cable back the yellow triangle with exclamation mark show up. the duplex mode is set on auto i did try also half an full duplex on 10 and 100 mbit but still the same.

i have connected the server to internet via rooter (standard dsl) then the icon disappeared and is connected, internet works.so the card works.

even after configuring the dns and the static ip adress is the same fault.i have tried on hp also on ibm but same.

can be some issue with dhcp or dns i am not sure but again how is possible the server not responding to or showing up like domain controller if all settings r correct.or my administrator account profile is like limited user profile.any idea? thanks

if you click on the network card icon what error does it say ?

hi i find the probleme.

for example on the computer with any microsoft operating system if we have a lan card and the properties on the ipv4 is set as optaine ip automaticly then if we connect this pc to switch we gonna get limited access.to resolve this is enough if we put static ip adresses then the connected 100mb shows up.

so now if i do the same on the server jut change the ip to 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.100 gateway and the 192.168.1.1 dns i still have the limited acces.also what i realise if i do any change the network card to sign up with dynamic ip or static the change go trough quickly thats not right because normaly takes few secconds to 1 min to activate the new settings.but not for me.

i think is the driver of the network card because when i do new installation, the server 2008 did not locate the driver for my server.i went to hp website where i find the driver for hp workstation xw6000 but this driver is for xp or windows2000 not longhorn or vista based.it works but not with full feature i think.

the worst is if i see the admin panel where i got the roles dns dhcp active directory shows up without any probleme also the wds.just this silly limited acces stopping me now.

do you have any idea for me i was thinking to get some vista compatible network card and disable the broadcom extremecard in the bios.