milchbart

Start HTA and autoselect the task sequence

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with understanding a specific issue:

Is it possible to start an HTA wizard before the screen appears to choose the task sequence? I want to use the HTA wizard to select a task sequence (maybe set a task sequence variable and choose the deployed task sequences automatically).

I want this because we have an existing procedure to request new server. If this autoselect would work, we could see if a request for a specifc MAC address or Computername is available and select the task sequence automatically. To get a little bit into detail: The requester visits a website, fills in the data (e.g. MAC address of new machine, licence key, operating system (architecture, edition, version, ...) and some programs. After submitting this website form a simple text file will be generated which should automatically select the corresponding task sequence.

Is there any way how we can achieve this? Or is there maybe a better, built in solution?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Milchbart,

You should use the SMSTSPreferredAdvertID variable

This allows an administrator with a custom front end (i.e. HTA) or script the ability to deploy any task sequence with an active deployment. It adds the flexibility to automate and selectively run a task sequence when multiple are deployment to a collection.

Thank you so much.

This is indeed what I was looking for.

The procedure, if anyone is interessted in, is looking now as followed:

1. Start server/client machine via either PXE or boot media image (e.g. when no DHCP helper adress is entered in network configuration)

2. Prestart command links to an existing vbs script

a. VBscript is looking for a network share on SCCM server where all the previously saved data is located

b. VBscript is checking the saved configuration files if there is a matching configuration, if so use this config file to set all TS variables (INCLUDING the new SMSTSPreferredAdvertID to autoselect the task sequence), if not no TS variable will be set

3. the regular task sequence is running, user driven when no TS variables are set, zero touch when everything is clear.

This way we can use our existing request procedure and add also the possibility to answer all questions on domand.

Thanks again!

Hello all,

once again it's me :-)

Another question: What if I would like to select the AdvertID with the method mentioned above, but prior list all avaiable AdvertIDs? Is there a possibility?

I would like to select the Tasksequence without my own HTA instead of the SCCM dialog box.

Thanks in advance.

you could probably create a script to list all AdvertID's and that script would be the one that runs in the prestart,