Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
rkh

Scheduled Updates Issue - not updating to DP

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

I have a strange issue that I'd like some help on please.

 

I've used the build and capture task sequence to capture a wim image. I add this wim to my Operating System Images and then run through the Scheduled Updates wizard. This all looks to work fine and I can see in my image's directory a .bak of my image alongside the slightly larger originally named, now with updates included wim file. The properties of the imported image list all of the updates that I requested to be installed - so all looks good to me(?)

 

It's at this point that I deploy the image to the distribution point. And here's the problem, the size of the image on the distribution point is the same as the .bak image version and when I use this in a deployment task sequence the updates are of course missing.

 

Is there a step that I am missing somewhere? I have deleted the .bak image from the directory and re-uploaded the image to the DP but that hasn't made a difference.

 

I can delete the image from the SCCM console and re-import it and that will be fine, although as SCCM will not list the installed updates under the 'installed updates' tab in the image properties - and this seems like extra work.

 

Has anyone else had this issue?

 

Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


What you seen in the "installed updates" list is just a history which is pulled from the database. It has nothing to do with what is actually injected to the WIM file.

If you use the bak file you have to create a completely new Image in the console. Then rerun the scheduled updates Task. After that you have to update the distribution points. Otherwise the updates are only in the source file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter33,

 

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean about the installed updates being a list pulled from the database.

 

I may not have made myself clear regarding the wim and bak files. For example, I've captured an image - capture.wim - 5GB, added this into Opperating System Images and then patched it using scheduled updates. After patching my capture.wim grows to 6GB and I have a backup copy capture.wim.bak which is still at the original size of 5G.

 

When I distribute my image to the DPs the size of the image is 5GB - it doesn't seem to upload the patched wim.

 

I don't want to use the .bak image. I can remove the patched image from the console and re-import - this is then succesfull in uploading to the DPs. I'm sure this is an extra and unnecesary step?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you are actually clicking "Update Distribution Points" after? It would probably take a long time to update the image on the DP, are you waiting long enough? When you update, also open the distmgr.log file on the server and see if you get any errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you are actually clicking "Update Distribution Points" after? It would probably take a long time to update the image on the DP, are you waiting long enough? When you update, also open the distmgr.log file on the server and see if you get any errors.

 

Yes, after the updates have reported success I can see in Windows Explorer that the wim file has increased in size. At that point I distribute the content to the DP - I do not distribute it prior to patching. I have left it for several hours before trying to deploy it.

 

I could not see any errors in the distmgr.log file - thank you for the suggestion, I hadn't checked that out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is similar to what I am seeing, I apply patches, then push the patches to a machine to see if any are missing. and all the same patches reaply and the machine reboots. if it is listed in the gui that it is patched why does the wim seem like it is not patched

I am also looking for a solution to this. My other alternative is to patch the wim using dism command line

 

https://www.windows-noob.com/forums/topic/13545-wim-patching-and-patch-deployments-detection/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...