Dom

Boot for Windows Servr 2008

Question

Hello,

I am trying to create an image with Build and Capture for Windows Server 2008.

I am using a HP DC7800 workstations for testing purpose.

I copied the Windows Server 2008 to my CONFIGMGRSRV server in a folder C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86

Then from this copy I copied the boot.wim file from C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86\sources to \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386 Should I copy other files?

I had created a boot image under System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Boot Images > Add Boot Image

- \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim and it displayed '1 - Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinPE (x86)' I input the name ' xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008', Version 1.0, Comment : '\\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386'

I imported Drivers under System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Drivers > HP > DC7800

I selected 'Intel® PRO/1000 Gigabit Server Adapter' and 'Intel® PRO/100 Network Connection' and added them to the boot image through "Add or Remove Drivers to Boot Images"

When I checked the Boot Image they are there now...

Then I created an iso file through System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Task Sequences > Create Task Sequence Media

- Bootable Media

- Media File: \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.iso (is it a good idea to try to differentiate them like boot-w2k08.iso... boot-xp.iso or should they always be boot.iso?)

- No password

- Boot Image: xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008 DP: \\CONFIGMGRSRV

the progress went fine with all green check marks...

So I tried to boot the test machine on this CD burned...

I am getting an error:

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory(X:\Windows) is different from the configured one (x:\Windows~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details. Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

Any idea?

** I even tried to create an isoCD from the boot.wim from the Windows Server 2008 CDs without any update... same error...

BTW how do I get to the peimg process?

I was able to run the PEIMG on the boot.wim but running Peimg /inf=driveletter:\temp\driver\*.inf /image=driveletter:\temp\mount\windows I am getting an error

Installing INF package: C:\temp\drivers\ANSM2KXP.INF

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070002...

After removing all inf files failing one by one I finally got the PEIMG comand passed sucessfully..

Thanks,

- Dom

6 answers to this question

hi Dom,

if you take things one step at a time you'll get them right.

so are you doing a build and capture using PXE boot or some other method, that you need to establish first,

secondly, the if you follow the Build and Capture process for Deploy Vista on this forum and substitue the Windows Server 2008 DVD for the Vista one then you'll end up with what you want (a capture of your windows 2008 image...)

now, if you want to deploy this captured image via a Custom Install DVD then you need to follow a different process which is detail here

please tell me exactly what you are doing and WHY so that I can understand the problems you are seeing

cheers

anyweb

hi Dom,

if you take things one step at a time you'll get them right.

so are you doing a build and capture using PXE boot or some other method, that you need to establish first,

secondly, the if you follow the Build and Capture process for Deploy Vista on this forum and substitue the Windows Server 2008 DVD for the Vista one then you'll end up with what you want (a capture of your windows 2008 image...)

now, if you want to deploy this captured image via a Custom Install DVD then you need to follow a different process which is detail here

please tell me exactly what you are doing and WHY so that I can understand the problems you are seeing

cheers

anyweb

Hi Any,

No PXE. I am creating a CD bootimage from the boot.wim of the Windows Server 2008 CDs them create an iso CD with the TS and try to boot from it and it always fails...

I did the build and capture for Vista (5 times now) and it works fine but when trying for Windows Server 2008 (up to 12 times) it does not pass the bootimage step it is always failing with tons of errors never the same even when I run twice the same process... the boot.wim from 2007 seems not having all necessary requirements... or an issue with the DC7800 hardware!!! 2 Gb RAM

Now I have uploaded the drivers with PEIMG I will check again.

same error:..

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory(X:\Windows) is different from the configured one (x:\Windows~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details. Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

Thanks,

Dom

:angry: I am trying to create an image with Build and Capture for Windows Server 2008 but first I need a boot image working...

I am using a HP DC7800 workstations for testing purpose.(2 Gb RAM)

I copied the Windows Server 2008 to my CONFIGMGRSRV server in a folder C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86

Then from this copy I copied the boot.wim file from C:\Source Files\Microsoft\Operating Systems\2008\2008 Std. and Ent. Eds. x86\sources to \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386 Should I copy other files?

I had created a boot image under System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Boot Images > Add Boot Image

- \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim and it displayed '1 - Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinPE (x86)' I input the name ' xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008', Version 1.0, Comment : '\\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386'

Then I created an iso file through System Center Configuration Manager > Site database (SRV - CONFIGMGRSRV ...) > Operating System Deployment > Task Sequences > Create Task Sequence Media

- Bootable Media

- Media File: \\configmgrsrv\SMS_SRV\OSD\boot\i386\boot.iso (is it a good idea to try to differentiate them like boot-w2k08.iso... boot-xp.iso or should they always be boot.iso?)

- No password

- Boot Image: xxxx - boot x86 Windows Server 2008 DP: \\CONFIGMGRSRV

the progress went fine with all green check marks...

So I tried to boot the test machine on this CD burned...

I am getting an error:

All Windows Server 2008 requirements:

Component

Requirement

Processor

Minimum: 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor)

Note: An Intel Itanium 2 processor is required for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

Memory

Minimum: 512 MB RAM

Maximum (32-bit systems): 4 GB (Standard) or 64 GB (Enterprise and Datacenter)

Maximum (64-bit systems): 8 GB (Foundation) or 32 GB (Standard) or 2 TB (Enterprise, Datacenter, and Itanium-Based Systems)

Disk Space Requirements

Minimum (32-bit systems): 20 GB or greater

Minimum (64-bit systems): 32 GB or greater

Foundation: 10 GB or greater

Note: Computers with more than 16 GB of RAM will require more disk space for paging, hibernation, and dump files

Display

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor

Other

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

As I am no more sure where to look I am giving the size of the various files:

- (1vista) CD boot.wim for vista: boot-VISTA-O.wim 119,106 Kb

- (2vista) boot wim after distribution to the DP: boot-VISTA-O.<<Site name>>xxxx.wim 129,418 Kb

- (3vista) iso file created through the TS from (1vista): VISTA-O.iso 156,482 Kb

- (1w2k08) CD boot.wim for windows server 2008: boot-W2K08-O.wim 130,189 Kb

- (2w2k08) boot wim after distribution to the DP: boot-W2K08-O.<<Site name>>xxxx.wim 140,407 Kb

- (3w2k08) iso file created through the TS from (1w2k08): W2K08-O.iso 156,482 Kb

I verified all these... let me know what looks wrong: process, file sizes, etc...

one stupid question should I make the iso from the boot.wim or the boot.<<site name>>xxxx.wim file?

Did the boot.wim files changed from the base to SP1 then SP2?

Vista

Vista SP1

Vista SP2

Windows Server 2008

Windows Server 2008 SP1

Windows Server 2008 SP2

Thanks,

- Dom

The boot.wim was wrong as it was picked from the OS CD and not from the WAIK. After creating a new boot.wim now it is booting and I have been able to build an image... I am checking now why the capture did not create anything...

Thanks,

Hi Any,

Where should I look for the image captured? I don't see any file created *.wim 05/04/2009 except the boot image... I checked the capture folder used in the process nothing either... did I miss a Task?

- The machine is in a WORKGROUP

- There is connection to the server: ping ok...

Thanks,

- Dom

Image03.bmp