basicchannel

Followed guides - still putting OS on D: drive

Hi,

For some reason when I deploy Windows 7 using a task sequence it puts it on the D:\ drive not the C as expected. I understand this can be due to using stock wim files from a disc rather than using a build and capture wim, but I haven't done this; I have followed the Windows newb guides very religiously. In the task sequence on the deploy task I even specified that it goes on the C: drive but it still went on the D:\ drive. Is there something I could be missing? Can anyone point me in the direction of something to double check which may be causing this?

Thank you

When the image is done is it still on the D: drive or does it change to C:?

If you have a recovery partition, during WinPE it will make that C: and the second partition (rest of the drive (OS)) D: but after everything is done it should change the OS drive to C:

Make sure you've used Operating System Installers to create your Golden Image (Not Operating System Images for original image and golden image!).

If you still have this problem, just add a “Set Task Sequence Variable” Action to your Task Sequence with Name OSDPreserveDriveLetter and value False. This will ignore the Driver letter stored in the WIM,

are you using Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 or RTM ?

SP1

When the image is done is it still on the D: drive or does it change to C:?

If you have a recovery partition, during WinPE it will make that C: and the second partition (rest of the drive (OS)) D: but after everything is done it should change the OS drive to C:

No it still seems to stick on the D: drive

Make sure you've used Operating System Installers to create your Golden Image (Not Operating System Images for original image and golden image!).

If you still have this problem, just add a “Set Task Sequence Variable” Action to your Task Sequence with Name OSDPreserveDriveLetter and value False. This will ignore the Driver letter stored in the WIM,

I'm sure I have but I might just start all over again and capture a new image. Thanks for the second tip though. If this fails I'll try it

This is what I had to do in my build and capture, make sure you put it before Apply Operating System. Thereafter it was not needed in the deployment task sequences.

Incidentally, I had this same issue in my deployment and the OSDPreserveDrive letter did not fix the issue. We had to get our consultant back in. he spent a day on it with no luck before eventually fudging it. The system deploys as D drive and then, at the end, changes the drive letter.

Can you not spinup a VM, attach a win7 ISO, build it manually, capture it with a standalone capture TS media, import the captured wim as a OS image. Attach it to the TS and deploy it to see if the outcome is any different than that of the B&C TS wim image?

There should be no reason as to why it wont install on the C drive if it is a pre-captured image, with or without variables, not unless there are media card drives active at OSD time that may consume drive letters.

Considering it is SP1 you are using you could also add windows8 install.wim directly from the media to see if this installs on the C drive...it should!

Rocket Man

Thanks, this appears to have fixed my D drive OS issue.