Question

In our last post we installed SCVMM Reporting.

By default, you should now have all the SCVMM reports available in SCOM’s Reporting space. However, there is an additional set of reports that is not made available by default. These are the Forecasting Analysis reports, and the only way to be able to use them is with SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS).

Since SCVMM using the reporting feature of SCOM, we need to have SSAS installed on the SCOM Reporting server. In our lab example, we have SQL DB and Reporting installed on the same server that is running SCOM. So, we’re going to go through the steps of installing SSAS first, and then configuring SCVMM to use it.

Install SSAS

To start, log into your SCOM server. From there, mount the SQL Server ISO or extract it and run the setup.exe.

Since we have already installed SQL, I will not repeat each/every step here, since the screens are identical. Just walk through the SQL installation process as if you were installing a new instance of SQL.

The screens that you need to take note of are, first, the Installation Type. Instead of selecting ‘Perform a new installation of SQL Server’, choose ‘Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server’. Then click Next.

SSAS Install 01.png

You should next be on the Features Selection screen. On here, select the ‘Analysis Services’ feature, and then click Next.

SSAS Install 02.png

Continue clicking Next until you reach the ‘Analysis Services Configuration’ screen. On this screen, add the applicable user(s)/security group(s) for administrative access to Analysis Services. Identical to how I have setup SQL Server, I have added a Security Group to control access. Make the applicable configuration for your environment, and then click Next.

IMPORTANT: The previous screen to this one (Server Configuration) is where we (in a normal SQL installation) would change the Collation (see my guide on SQL Installation). I have be unsuccessful in finding any official documentation from Microsoft about the proper Collation for SSAS, especially since SSAS does not have SQL Collation like the SQL Database and Reporting features does. Therefore, for my lab example, I have accepted the default SSAS Collation.

Additionally, I have likewise been unable to find any official documentation from Microsoft about the proper Server Mode configuration for Analysis Servers in reference to SCVMM. Therefore, again, I am accepting the default Server Mode of ‘Multidimensional and Data Mining Mode’.

SSAS Install 03.png

Continue to click Next until you reach the Install screen, and then click Install.

SQL Analysis Services AMO Install

To avoid an error when attempting to enable SSAS in SCVMM, you must install the Analysis Management Objects for SQL on the SCVMM Management Server.

In our lab example, we are using SQL Server 2012. Therefore, to obtain the AMO elements, we need to download and install the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Feature Pack. You can find the SQL Feature Pack (specifically SQL 2012) here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29065. Download the file to your SCVMM Management Sever.

Now, start the installation by running the SQL_AS_AMO.msi file and click Run.

SQL AS AMO Install 01.png

On the Welcome screen click Next.

SQL AS AMO Install 02.png

Read and accept the License Agreement, and then click Next.

SQL AS AMO Install 03.png

Now all you have to do is click Install.

SQL AS AMO Install 04.png

Once the installation is complete, click Finish.

SQL AS AMO Install 05.png

We now have the SQL Analysis Management Objects installed, and can proceed with enabling the use of SSAS in SCVMM.

NOTE: You may have to restart your SCVMM server after installing this, not because the installation prompts you to, but for everything to initialize properly.

Enable Forecasting Analysis

After you have SSAS installed, you can now enable SCVMM to use SSAS and forecasting analysis reports.

Log into your SCVMM server, and launch the console. From there, navigate to Settings > System Center Settings > Operations Manager Server. Either right-click and choose Properties, choose Properties from the ribbon menu, or just double click on setting option.

SSAS Install 04.png

Since we already performed the integration steps between SCOM and SCVMM, you should see the Connection Status on the Details screen as “OK”. Click on the ‘SQL Server Analysis Services’ label.

SSAS Install 05.png

On this screen, check the ‘Enable SSAS’ checkbox. You will then be able to provide the SSAS server name and instance, along with the port, and account to use. In our lab example since we installed all elements on the SCOM server, our SSAS server name is ‘SCOM.SC.LAB’ and my instance name is ‘SCOMSQL’.

Make the applicable entries for your environment, and then click OK.

SSAS Install 06.png

Notice that when you click OK, you may encounter the following message. It indicates that the SCVMM server needs to have the SQL Server Analysis Management Objects installed.

SSAS Install 07.png

Press OK if you encounter this error, and following the steps detailed in the ‘SQL Analysis Services AMO Install’ section of this document.

IMPORTANT: Through extensive research, it appears that even if you have SQL Server 2012 installed, along with SQL 2012 Reporting, that you cannot in fact use the SQL 2012 Analysis Services Analysis Management Objects. This is currently applicable with version SCVMM 2012 SP1 UR2. It has been determined that you MUST use SQL 2008 R2 Analysis Management Objects. It is unknown if this will be corrected in a future SCVMM update.

NOTE: I cannot take credit for this discovery/solution. Here is the reference page that led me to this conclusion: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/lrayl/archive/2013/05/20/configuring-the-system-center-2012-sp1-vmm-sql-analysis-services-integration-with-operations-manager.aspx.

So at this point, you need to repeat the steps for installing SQL Analysis Services AMO, but with version/feature pack SQL Server AMO for SQL 2008 R2; here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16978.

Once you install SQL Server AMO for SQL 2008 R2, then repeat the steps already detailed for Enable Forecasting Analysis. Once you enable SSAS and enter the applicable information and click OK, if everything else is setup correctly the Operations Manager Settings dialog will automatically close.

You can re-open it and confirm that SSAS is enabled.

SSAS Install 08.png

And that’s it. You now have SSAS enabled in SCVMM. The reports already exist in SCOM but now the Forecasting Reports can use the collected information to project data into the future.

VMM Reporting 10.png

That completes the Installation Guides for SCVMM. The next part of the series will cover Configuration.

9 answers to this question

Yeah, you need the other Management Packs installed first. It lists them for you (3 IIS ones, and one SQL). You need those other MPs imported into SCOM before you establish the integration connection for SCVMM.

AndinE ,

I have a management packs in my server for your info . can you check which i need to or if i missed any thing ...

I googled below packs :

• SQL Server Core Library version 6.0.5000.0 or later
• Windows Server Internet Information Services Library version 6.0.5000.0 or later
• Windows Server Internet Information Services 2003 version 6.0.5000.0 or later
• Windows Server 2008 Internet Information Services 7 version 6.0.6539.0 or later

I thing i did my level best but still iam in to trouble . i never did this before as newbie you help is really appreciated

Thanks

post-16945-0-64025100-1375683916_thumb.png

I import the Virtual Machine Manager 2012 and PRO management packs, which are present on my VMM 2012 Server in the ‘%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\Management Packs’ directory.

After that i cant connect the SCVMM console and it shows error . i checked all the services and restarted the server 2ice and no luck any idea ?

Thanks

post-16945-0-98231100-1375703923_thumb.png

First, you don't need to manually import the VMM Management Packs into SCOM, because the integration action will do that for you.

As for the error that you are getting, here are a few links to take a look at.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/a1784a59-d957-40d1-b0a8-68b879918d41/scvmm-connection-issue-id-1602

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4900.system-center-2012-virtual-machine-manager-vmm-error-codes-1500-1999.aspx

Sorry for the delay, I moved, so things were... well, packed.

Firstly, from looking at your screenshot of the Management Packs installed, even though you do have the Windows Server Internet Information Services Library, you are still missing the other 2 IIS Management Packs, namely:

• Windows Server Internet Information Services 2003 version 6.0.5000.0 or later
  • Windows Server 2008 Internet Information Services 7 version 6.0.6539.0 or later

Start with that first, and let me know if you are still encountering issues.