jonrowe81

SCCM 2012 : Optimal Setup for multiple sites on fiber LAN : suggestions please?

Everyone,

I want to give you all an insite as to my current setup, and let me know what you think I should do if anything to optimize Performance of my SCCM 2012 sp1 environment:

I manage a public school district, containing around 1,800 computers and have one SCCM that handles everything at this point. All roles on this server as as follows:

application catalog web service point
application catalog website point
component server
distribution point
endpoing protection point
management point
reporting services point
site database server
site server
site system
state migration point

In my physical LAN, all of our external campuses connect back to our High School (where the above main server is located) through a 50mb up/down internet service fiber link.

I have the following sites/boundaries:
High School (main/only current SCCM Server)
Junior High : i have a server here running this site's DC, can spin up a virtual distribution point if necessary/recommended
Central Elementary : i have a server here running this site's DC, can spin up a virtual distribution point if necessary/recommended
Eastside Elementary Kindergarten : i have a server here running this site's DC, can spin up a virtual distribution point if necessary/recommended
Walker Pre-K Facility : i have a server here running this site's DC, can spin up a virtual distribution point if necessary/recommended..this site is a bit different, because of distance there is no dedicated high speed fiber internet service to this site. They have a 10mb download / 2mb upload ISP only. I believe they will desperately need a DP. thoughts?

Currently, all of these sites are running back to our main DP/MP sccm server at the High School for everything SCCM.

The sccm server itself is a dedicated Dell Poweredge R15 with dual quad-core i7 processors and 24gb of RAM. I believe it has plenty of fire-power to handle it's roles, for I watch system resources and we hardly take a hit even at high capacity. (Thoughts on this setup?)

I have a Lenovo M92P workstation at each of our sites (listed above) with 8gb of RAM and 2TB of storage running server 2012. The only server running on these now are local DC and DHCP/DNS on 1 virtual server. I am thinking of spinning up another server on each box to act as the site's/boundarie's distrubution points, as well as whatever server roles you think will help for each site to take the load off of the LAN and high school main server.

I will mainly be using SCCM for imaging/software distrubution/remote control of our clients. I am open to any and all suggestions from you seasoned pros, for I am new to the setting up / maintenance of SCCM, but have come from a corporation that had hundreds of site servers/BDPs/etc running SMS 2003/SCCM 2007 and so I know my way around it after the fact, but have had a BLAST setting this environment up from the ground up with help of forums such as these.

If anyone has the time to point me in the right direction on a few of these items, I would be forever grateful and appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you very much!

without a nice visio picture of your layout above it's hard to get a 'clear picture'

however as you've already said you have a remote site with bad bandwidth (Walker Pre-K Facility), then yes sticking a DP here would be a good idea.