DPeaper

USMT 4.0 Will Not Overwrite Files

Question

Hi Everyone,

After much troubleshooting I managed to get the Capture and Restore task sequences running, with SCCM 2007, as part of an XP x86 to Windows 7 x64 migration that I am doing. Initially the out of the box migration didn't work because Lotus Notes opened as if for the first time. A little investigation revealed that all of the critical files such as notes.ini had been renamed notes(1).ini instead of overwriting the existing.

A little Google research and I decided that I would need to write a custom script, which I did. I included the helper script and set SourcePriority as below:-

<merge script="MigXmlHelper.SourcePriority()">
<objectSet>
<pattern type="File">c:\lotus\notes\ [*.ini]</pattern>
</objectSet>
</merge>

However, the result was the same with notes(1).ini appearing.

Furthermore with my new understanding of the xml syntax I was able to take a look at MigApp.xml, which is supplied with the tool, and I found that Microsoft's script is almost identical to mine. So, it should have worked in the first place.

I hope I've posted enough information that someone can give me some help here, or point me in the direction of something else to try because I've run out of ideas.

2 answers to this question

Hello,

We have a sort of similar situation. We have SCCM 2012 SP1 integrated with MDT 2012 U1 with two Task sequences. I do a data capture as part of my TS against some custom .XML files to achieve the following

1. Capture all user data from the XP machine to a network share to my SMP

2 A second Task sequence will wipe the disks and partition my drives and Install Windows 7 and should restore the data to the new OS

My OSD task Sequence in the USMT part should achieve the following:

Requirement

1. Do not Copy contents of C: drive

2. Copy all PST files across the fixed drives and "move" them into D:\PST_Files

3. Copy only contents of a folder on the D: drive called "D:\MigrateMe"

4. Copy this folder to the New Win 7 OS to D:\Migrated_Data. Do not bring across any other files n folders

5. If the build process fails and the TS re-run, USMT should not overwrite the captured data

Outcome: Loadstate/ restore data in my TS gives me the following output

1. C: drive Data is not copied across - Success

2. All PST_FIles are "copied" to D:\PST_Files, but is also maintained in their original location

3. All contents of D: drive are copied across and duplicated into D:\MigrateMe -

4. USMT Data is rerun and the captured data is lost

I realize that in the Scanstate requires the /o switch to be removed. Not sure where or how I shd be doing this.

To get my data to redirected to D:\Migrate_Data I modified my Migdocs.xml files with the following

<locationModify script="MigXmlHelper.Move('D:\Migrated_Data')">
<objectSet>
<pattern type="File">D:\MigrateMe\* [*]</pattern>
</objectSet>
</locationModify>

Also, attached are my custom XML Files

Thanks in Advance

Ash

MigDocs.txt

RedirectFolders.xml

PST.xml

ExcludeDrives.txt