kdevries

PXE Boot Errors

I have SCCM 2012 SP1 CU1 installed. I upgraded from no service pack. I am getting a File: Boot\BCD Status 0xc0000098 Info: The windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry. I have added the Boot images again, ensure all PXE was enabled, redistributed everything with no luck. I have been banging my head for days.

A couple of thoughts, not sure if any of them will solve your problem.

1. Is this happening will all machines? Physical or virtual or both? SP1 boot images run WinPE 4. When I upgraded to SP1 my VMs bombed out when PXE booting (with a similar error message I believe) because my VMware Workstation version was older and didn't support booting machines into WinPE 4.

2. When I upgraded to SP1 my DP started behaving strangely also. I had always configured WDS manually, placing the RemoteInstall folder on a different drive than the DP. It had worked fine for me in the past. But now I couldn't PXE boot either (with a similar, but different I believe, error code as yours). I first unchecked "Enable PXE support for clients" on the properties of my DP. Then I uninstalled WDS, removed the RemoteInstall directory, rebooted the server. I now let SCCM install and configure WDS for me. It placed the RemoteInstall dir on my DP drive instead. Since then I haven't had any issues with PXE.

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME!!

1. In the SCCM 2012 Admin Console, under the "Software Library" --> "Operating System Images" node, right click on the Windows 7 image being deployed and choose "Properties".

2. Click on the "Images" tab.

3. Under the option "Select image you want to view:", switch between the different images (i.e., "1-1" or "2-2") that are contained in the WIM file. Determine which image, i.e. 1-1 or 2-2, contains the Windows installation. The image that contains the Windows installation will have information next to the fields "OS version", "Architecture", "HAL Type", and "Description". The non-Windows data image will not have anything next to these fields.

4. Click on the "OK button.

5. In the SCCM 2012 Admin Console, under the "Software Library" --> "Task Sequences" -->right click the affected Task Sequence and choose “Edit”.

6. In the left pane of the Task Sequence select "Partition Disk 0".

7. Double click on the first item under "Volume" to bring up the "Partition Properties".

8. In the "Partition Properties" window:

• Under "Partition options", change the value next to "Use specific size" from 100 MB to 300 MB.
  • Under "Partition options", make sure that the option "Make this the boot partition" is set.
  • Under “Formatting options”, make sure the “Quick Format” option is selected.
  • Click on the "OK" button.

9. Double click on the second item under "Volume:" to bring up the "Partition Properties" window.

10. In the "Partition Properties" window:

• Under "Partition options", select "Use a percentage of remaining free space" and set the field "Size(%)" to "100".
  • Under "Formatting options", make sure the "Quick Format" option is selected.
  • Click on the "OK" button.

11. Select the "Apply Operating System" task.

12. Under the "Apply operating system from a captured image" option, make sure that the "Image:" drop down menu is set to the Windows installation image as determined in Step 3 (i.e., "1-1" or "2-2").

13. Select the "Apply Data Image 1" task.

14. Under the "Select the image from this package that you want to apply. This image can not contain any operating system." option, make sure the "Image:" drop down menu is set to the non-Windows data image as determined in Step 3 (i.e. 1-1 or2-2).

15. Move the "Apply Data Image 1" task immediately BEFORE the "Apply Operating System" task, but AFTER the "Partition Disk" task.

16. Click on the "OK" button to save the changes to the Task Sequence.

The 100 MB boot partition that was captured using the Capture Media is applied first via the "Apply Data Image 1" task. This allows the "Apply Operating System" task that follows it to move on to the second partition and apply the Windows OS image to the second larger partition via the option "Next available formatted partition". If we did not include the "Apply Data Image 1" task or the "Apply Data Image 1" task is after the "Apply Operating System" task, the Task Sequence would try to apply the Windows OS image on the first smaller partition instead of the second larger partition. This would cause the "There is not enough space on the disk" since the size of the WIM image is larger than the partition size.