gleep52

SCCM OSD to UEFI laptop with PXE boot crashes - winload.efi

We just got our sample unit in for our school district's next 300+ machines... it's UEFI - has legacy option in the bios. But if I switch it to legacy, the thing won't boot or do ANYTHING except stay at a boot manager screen (built in, not SCCM). If I switch it to UEFI, it boots normally, but if I plug in the Ethernet, it boots directly from it stating PXE boot IPv4... clever! Or is it?

The WIM files load, but after the bar slides across the bottom, when it usually will start the server 2012 boot logo, instead it chirps and crashes. It says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix it... <blahblah>

File:\Windows\System32\boot\winload.efi

I'm still rather noobish with SCCM, but I added every driver I can find available for this laptop to the boot image, and it still fails to load the winpe environment. The laptop is by a company called M & A - the laptop is actually manufactured by Intel. Here's a link:

http://macomp.com/Companion-Touch8.asp

If anyone has some thoughts on why this is, or how I can overcome it - you'll forever be in my debt! :)

UEFI boot is supported, however you have to have uefi hardware, it has to be configured to boot to UEFI network boot and your task sequence should be setup to deal with UEFI, lastly WDS must be of a version that supports UEFI boot and your task sequence should have a 64bit boot wim as described below

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11135-why-do-i-get-a-winloadefi-status-0xc0000359-error-when-using-uefi-network-boot-in-system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager

UEFI boot is supported, however you have to have uefi hardware, it has to be configured to boot to UEFI network boot and your task sequence should be setup to deal with UEFI, lastly WDS must be of a version that supports UEFI boot.

If WDS is installed on a Server 2012 RTM, does that support UEFI network boot out of the box? And how can I make sure the TS supports UEFI? Thanks.

Well at some point I was able to get past the winload.efi error by recreating my boot images - though I don't recall the process and since then something else has changed where the same winload.efi error is rearing it's ugly head again.

I need to use uefi on these laptops, and it DID work previously. What version should my boot.wim file be? Mine says 6.2.9200.16384... isn't that the WinPE 4.0 version?

When I try to add a boot.wim file directly from the windows media it fails. Google reveals others with the same issue and their work around was to use the boot images that came with WADK - but I don't know where those files are. Yes, I'm still noobish.

Anyone able to throw out some help with this one?

Has anyone had any luck with winload.efi 0xc0000359 errors?

I have the same issue if I PXE boot.

I created a USB drive from Config Mgr and it booted correct but then it downloads the boot.wim and reboots, then errors.

I have 3 different models that all error.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jason

So after trolling several other forums, I came across a solution for this issue that required the creation of a bootable USB thumb drive with a 64-bit boot image. The person posting said that the "default" boot image was 32-bit since multiple boot images were being offered to the "all unknown computers" collection. We have task sequences deployed to this collection for all operating systems from XP to 8.1 in both x86 and x64 flavors. You would think that a system with a 64-bit architecture and UEFI would automatically boot the 64-bit boot image, but I guess that's not the behavior of SCCM 2012 R2.

If anyone else can figure out how to automatically have computers boot the appropriate architecture when multiple boot media are offered, I'd love to hear about it. Until then, I'll either disable UEFI and go with the old BIOS, or have a few thumb drives ready to go...

• Like 1

I have a similar post on this same subject. The only way I have found to make it work with 32bit and 64but UEFI is to import the machines into SCCM and create a specific collection which is targeted by the task sequence. My experience is the same, it appears as if 32-bit is offered first by SCCM even though the machine is 64-bit. This makes sense in a weird way as 64-bit machine is both a 32bit and 64bit capable machine. However, I find it odd that SCCM doesn't first offer 64 bit since it's UEFI and you can't boot with a 32bit boot image.