jamitupya

Deploy software through AD Groups linked to Collections in SCCM

Question

Hi All,

i've been trying to figure this out for a while but keep failing totally and in utter dispair i need to ask how i can do this

I want to deploy software through AD Groups linked to Collections in SCCM.

Is there an easy way to do this, can somebody give me a basic run down on how this should occur? i want to learn it but it is just one elusive SOB at the moment :S

Cheers

:(

I am still trying to get used to SCCM 2007 (only had access for a week) and am following this guide to install a EXE of some fonts.

I am stuck at this simple part "Now you can target these sub collections with software to install, so in this case you would target the collections above with an advertisement to install Microsoft Office 2003."

How do I target a collection with an advertisment?

I can right click and select "Advertise Task Sequence" but I don't have one for this.. unless I am ment to make one.

Hope you can help, thanks! (sorry if I am dragging up an old post)

g.

EDIT: Of Course!!

2 seconds after making that post I find the Advertisement section.. I still have an issue though as the software does not show up when I try to select a package. All my other software is there (put there by the last admin) but my one does not show up. I have refreashed the pakage on the distrabution point but still can not see it in the list.. Any ideas?

Edited by UserInterface

I realised that I had not assigned the program to the software package so have that working now however I still do not see any users in the collection.

I have followed your guide step by step, but am not sure what to try next.

I have 2 users in the group, but none show up in the collection.

Hello everyone, I've been using this site for years, and never had to post anything since I have always found the answer! But here is one that kinda goes along this same thread. I am trying to create a script for SCCM that polls an OU for all the users, then queries the users machine, and then takes that machine and places it in a collection, here is what I've found but I keep getting a syntax error...

select SMS_R_System.ResourceID,

SMS_R_System.ResourceType,

SMS_R_System.Name,

SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier,

SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,

SMS_R_System.Client from SMS_R_System

inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.UserName in (select UniqueUserName from SMS_R_User where UserOUName = "Domain/OU” )

I think I might have a space or something wrong somewhere, but the error is in the lower half of the script since everything seems to be fine if I cut out this part....

inner join SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.UserName in (select UniqueUserName from SMS_R_User where UserOUName = "Domain/OU” )

Is there something I need to change that anyone can see?

Thanks in advance, you all Rock!

check this

"Domain/OU”

those " don't look quite right to me..... probably because you copy/pasted them from Microsoft Word or something, remove them and re-enter them from your keyboard instead.

I implemented AD Group-based installation/uninstallation with the following setup on SCCM2012, don't know is it the best one, don't think so...

So,

Two collections:

Install Software X (Gets members by AD Group)

Uninstall Software X (Excludes the members in Install Software X, so basicly contains all the other resources)

Two deployments:

Install Application Software X for the Install Software X collection

Uninstall Application Software X for the Uninstall Software X collection

So basicly, when I add a computer to Install Group it get's the application installed and when I remove it from the group, the application get's uninstalled... any thoughts?

Hi narcoticmind,

I've created an AD query based collection using sccm 2012 r2. Ran the the System/ Device discovery but collection is not being populated. please how did you get yours to work. Is the any guide on here for SCCM 2012.

This is the query statement. select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.SystemGroupName like "Mydomain/Application Accounts/App-Tool7.0-Win7-X86"

Disregard this. its working now. I was only refreshing the collection i create. After refreshing the device collection. I can see my machine is now in the group.