HEHS_Matt

So many errors post-SP1 - should I just trash SCCM and start from scratch?

Hi folks,

I'm coming to the end of my tether with my SCCM installation since I installed SP1 and CU2... Until three weeks ago, I had a perfectly working installation. Workstations would build, software would distribute, everything was rosy.

I decided to install SP1 to add support for the Windows 8 devices that are beginning to creep onto my network but, frankly, since then everything has been a complete disaster.

I have a catalog of errors trying to build machines now - some apply the OS image, but then never install any packages from the Task Sequence. Some run through the task sequence completely, installing everything, then fail to show up as a client in the SCCM console. Some that worked perfectly before SP1 now fail to join the domain half-way through the task sequence and therefore cannot complete the job. It should be noted that this is the same task sequence in every case.

Today, I'm finding that the few machines that were building successfully post-SP1 are getting stuck in provisioning mode, never adding themselves as clients to the console (despite successfully installing the client package) and therefore not picking up any additional assignments.

I'm running out of places to look and logfiles to check for clues, and I'm not sure how many more 15-hour working days I can cope with before I go into some sort of meltdown...

So I'm beginning to think that it might just be an easier job to destroy SCCM completely and re-install from scratch. What are the caveats of doing this? Is there best practice? Would I need to carefully scrape out the remnants of my current SCCM installation from AD (or anywhere else for that matter) before I go about doing this?

Obviously, if anyone has any great ideas about what might be causing my strange range of problems instead, suggestions for that would also be most welcome but I'm figuring that for my own sanity, I'm probably going to have to start from sratch.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

It should be noted that this is the same task sequence in every case

Did you try creating a new task sequence and re-referencing the same packages?

Not sure if R2 is supported yet in production?

Also as I have not applied R2 yet So I am unfamiliar with the client upgrade process.

Do you need to deploy any client updates along-side the actual client it self?

I do know with CU1 there is an update that can be deployed along with OSD by adding the location of the update to the properties of the client in the task sequence.

Is this the same process with R2 or does the R2 update actually update the full client package without having to deploy the extra update package?

As for your clients getting stuck in provisioning mode there are 2 reg keys that could be run directly after the client task which may help. I will source them if you want to try it or maybe you have already tried it.

Did you try creating a new task sequence and re-referencing the same packages?

Not sure if R2 is supported yet in production?

Also as I have not applied R2 yet So I am unfamiliar with the client upgrade process.

Do you need to deploy any client updates along-side the actual client it self?

I do know with CU1 there is an update that can be deployed along with OSD by adding the location of the update to the properties of the client in the task sequence.

Is this the same process with R2 or does the R2 update actually update the full client package without having to deploy the extra update package?

As for your clients getting stuck in provisioning mode there are 2 reg keys that could be run directly after the client task which may help. I will source them if you want to try it or maybe you have already tried it.

This is a brand new task sequence I created after I installed SP1/CU2, referencing those original packages.

I haven't installed R2 - just SP1 with CU2... Although if R2 makes RTM before I've solved these problems, I'd be tempted!

The client version currently being installed is 5.00.7803.1000, which is the SP1 one. There is an update to this client for CU2 (taking it to minor version 1300) but I haven't managed to get that installing as part of the task sequence yet. Mostly cos I'm having so many other problems with the rest of the task sequence...

I've got the registry keys that get me out of provisioning mode, but since this is only affecting select models of workstation, I'm not sure I want to put them in our catch-all task sequence. Although I suppose it can't do any harm...

There is an update to this client for CU2 (taking it to minor version 1300) but I haven't managed to get that installing as part of the task sequence yet

You should try this and have it doing it via OSD. I am currently doing this on any new build that I have during OSD time as opposed to deploying it out to a custom x86/x64 sp1 collection. The upgrade does update some components and one been the Task sequence Components.

but since this is only affecting select models of workstation

What models is been affected, Dell optiplex 390?

You should try this and have it doing it via OSD. I am currently doing this on any new build that I have during OSD time as opposed to deploying it out to a custom x86/x64 sp1 collection. The upgrade does update some components and one been the Task sequence Components.

I'll try adding the CU2 update to the client into the task sequence and seeing what difference that makes.

What models is been affected, Dell optiplex 390?

They're all generic unbranded machines here... Mostly Intel boards (DG61CR, DG41TX, DG41RQ, etc.) with standard components. The ones that gets stuck in provisioning are an MSI H61M motherboard, with an onboard Realtek NIC.

I installed Sccm 2012 with r1 when it first came out and it was a major pain in the neck. I have a good running R1 version finally after 3 months and a nice 5 day class. I would advise anyone to wait 6 months before using R2. 15 hour days get rough. It might be easier to uninstall Sccm, delete the db from your sql machine. Go to active directory and remove all references to your site code in systems mgmt container.

Re-install all using the same site code, you can do that because I've done it. The same site code will make all your client find the new Sccm server. Remember after you advertise your new sccm server in ad, it will take about a day to have all pc's show up. Use a query in reports to monitor any new pcs found in the last 48 hours so you can keep an count on sccm finding new computers daily. ( I have a query if you need it)

A lot of people would say suck it up and fix it. I guarantee you are at a point that you will be chasing your tail for 3 month or so as new issues come out. Your pxe issues are strange, your client upgrades are an issue with the r2 release. I have r1 running perfect with over 2500 users and 3500 computers over 14 companies and multiple states including Canada.

Remember SCCM 2012 is very far reaching software and you can do so much with it and you should not be having all these issues. Important on your ad, delete the entry in system Management. Let Sccm republish it. Go to your dns and delete all entries pointing to Sccm. I would format drive on your server and do a complete os reload and then sccm. The only unknow issue is will the new client software R2 talk to a non r2 version, My answer would be yes it will talk to your new R1 sccm server.

The only unknow issue is will the new client software R2 talk to a non r2 version, My answer would be yes it will talk to your new R1 sccm server

I know with CU1 upgrade the SP1 client communicated fine until they were upgraded to CU1..but it is recommended to have both clients and site server on same version. Now having a newer client version than that of the site server....will communication work...that is debateable and may have more underlying issues.

Go to active directory and remove all references to your site code in systems mgmt container

Would unpublishing the site server from within the console not remove these enteries from the system management container. This would probably be the best way to do it rather than manually deleting them. Obviously it has not done your system any harm but it would not be the route I would have went.

Thank you both for your comments. I think I've decided that, given the multitude of problems I'm facing and also the lack of patience I have in attempting to fix them (!!), I'm going to attempt to get every workstation on the network to a 'working' state before I flatten SCCM and start again.

jkirshy - thank you for the info re: site code - that was one of my primary concerns, whether or not the clients would report back to a 'new' SCCM site if it had the same code.

Thanks again both - I'll let you know how I get on!

-M

are you building your images from .wim or from source files?

From WIM files. I tried to create a new Windows 7 image from scratch after these problems started occurring, but the build and capture task sequence failed as well. Right now, I'm stuck applying the only image that is available to me...