jkirshy

Operating system images wont see any windows updates from seperate wsus server.

Question

I have a Sccm 2012R1 server running fine. Wsus and windows pxe updates are a issue for me.

Our Wsus server is another server managed by another person. Because of company policies I cant change how updates are sent out. We do a staged update across the Wan, 13 different companies and test update groups, then production ou's.

My question can sccm deploy software updates to and OS image without Software Update Point installed? I have multiple os packages that I deploy through pxe, however I cannot use sccm to update the images because there is no communication to Wsus.

I have tried installing sup on my sccm but no updates are seen by sccm. The two machines don't talk. Our wsus server is a separate machine that through gp updates go to each machine when deployed and of course all clients are pointed to wsus server as source to get updates. I cant use Sccm to deploy windows updates.

1. What I cant find is how sccm talks to wsus and gets it updates with or without a SUP point?
  2. Can I just get updates myself using Sccm console only?
  3. How can I enable os updates for pxe packages with a different wsus site.

Do I even need a Software update point? If not how do I set up communication between sccm and wsus to get auto approved updates from my wsus server? I've done a lot of research and installed the wsus admin console on sccm, to talk to wsus server with a sup on my sccm server and it did not work either.

Any ideas, I know its a complicated issues but any help would be appreciated, this site has been the best for me in my learning experience with Sccm 2012 R1

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

You don't need a SUP, but it would have been easy. It's also possible to deploy the updates directly via WSUS and install them during the task sequence. For an example see: http://desktopdeploy.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/use-existing-wsus-to-patch-client-during-configmgr-osd-task-sequence/