AdinE

SCDPM 2012 SP1 in a LAB – Configuration (Part C – Install Protection Agent)

Question

Install Protection Agent

Now that we have DPM installed, it doesn’t protect our environment if there are no Agents installed.

Start by launching the DPM console and navigating to the Management space.

Install DPM Agent 01.png

Next click on the Agents link.

Install DPM Agent 02.png

In the toolbar, click Install.

Install DPM Agent 03.png

On the Agent Installation Wizard, Agent Deployment Method page, there are 2 options to choose from. Since we are starting new, we will choose ‘Install Agents’. Then click Next.

Install DPM Agent 04.png

On the Select Computers page, select the computer(s) that you want to protect from the list on the left, and press ‘Add’. Once you have added all the computers you want to install the Agent on, click Next.

Install DPM Agent 05.png

Next you need to provide credentials for the account to install the Agent. Then click Next.

Install DPM Agent 06.png

On the Restart Method page, chose whether to restart the computer after installing the agent or not. Your decision may be based on the location/use of the system (i.e. Production vs. Development). Make your choice and click Next.

Install DPM Agent 07.png

On the Summary page, click Install.

Install DPM Agent 08.png

Once the installation is complete, the Installation page will show ‘Success’. Click Close.

Install DPM Agent 09.png

Back in the DPM console, you will see your newly added system with an Agent Status of ‘OK’. You will notice that the Agents section (on the left) that it shows 0 Protected, 1 Unprotected Agents. We have to create Protection Groups.

Install DPM Agent 10.png

1 answer to this question

Hello,

I have been trying to find clarification for issue and hopefully you will be able to help. We are currently running DPM 2012 4.0 (nonSP1) and are wanting to upgrade to SP1 due to SQL2012 incompatibility. We have 22 protected agents and have read on all the technets and forums that after upgrade to SP1 all agents need to be upgraded. We have a number of critical boxes that cannot be without backup for period of time and devices that cannot be re-booted without scheduled downtime (lot of notice required) Hope you can help with my questions and if you have any questions you can email me directly.

My questions are:

Will DPM continue to protect a device without having to upgrade the agent?

Can I install the SP1 agent before the upgrade of DPM and still be protected by no SP1 DPM (backwards compatibility)??

Do all the Agents have to be rebooted after the agent install or can this be done in our own time??

Thank you in advance

Regards

Richard Booth

RichardDBooth@gmail.com