ahanso

My content is deleting itself!

Hey fellow SCCM users! I come to this forum all the time for answers and I must say, I usually find what I am looking for and the support from people on here is AWESOME!

This particular issue though I am having a hard time finding a solution, so I thought I would make my first post! I have a Primary Site setup to house content we deploy to our clients. It has a "sources" share in which I setup to hold source content as well as Software updates, etc; You can get to it by putting in \\nameofshare\sources. Here is the issue: Lately the folders I create or distribute there are automatically getting deleted usually by the next day, out of nowhere! Example: I setup a Microsoft Lync 2013 application install and housed the source content in this location. I test the install and all is working fine through software center. The next day I come in and the install through software center fails and all the content on that share is missing!

Has anyone run into this issue or seen something similar? This is SCCM 2012 SP1. Share is Server 2008 R2.

That is a strange thing to be happenning. Normally this would have to be triggered manually via SCCM (remove package from DP).

Are you the only person that has access to the server as admin?

Is the content still in the sources folder but not in the DP share or is it not in both locations?

Thank you for the response Rocket Man. It looks like it has disappeared from the sources share (which is the sccm servers e:\) but is stored in the SMSPKGSIG on C: of that server. Is it ok for the source content to be gone? Should the application still install?

Is it ok for the source content to be gone?

So to get this straight...you have a common share for all software and this is where you have specified the data source of each package/app to be which is on an E:\ drive, and this is where the content is been removed from?

If you have content validation or scheduled content distribution/update on a regular basis then no this is not OK..... even if the content only needs to be distributed once I feel that the data source is still very much needed and important for the package/app for continuous successful deployments.

Have you distributed the packages and specified them to distribute to a content share which should be SMSPKGE$ or SMSPKGC$ depending on the drive targeted when the DP was configured/implemented. If so is the content still inside the SMSPKGE$ or SMSPKGC$, SITECODEXXXXX?

Correct. I have \\sccmserver\sources folder that has the source files for my content. I then create a package and say it contains source files, and point it to those files. I then distribute to one distribution point (which happens to be the same server the sources folder sits on) and after about a day..the source files i put out on that share are gone! I can find my package ID on the C: drive of that server, but it no longer seems to run right without the source files. Are you saying the content validation/updates are deleting my source files?

Are you saying the content validation/updates are deleting my source files?

No......and yes.....if you have scheduled update distribution then if there are no files in the data source then obviously when the scheduled update takes place then it is going to update the target with no files!!

If the files were been removed from the content share then you could have checked the distmgr log to see evidence that SCCM was removing them.

distmgr.PNG

But considering it is from the data source, then Im afraid I have no other thoughts on the matter other than check the security of the data source share to make sure that user group everyone has no access to it or at the most just read access so they are unable to make changes if this is indeed the cause of your problem. It is just a suggestion to rule out any unsolicited manual alteration to the source files and is good practice. Maybe you have these security settings in place already...

Wow, I had this exact same problem last week! It was driving me crazy.

I know this is about a month old but in case someone needs a place to look I'll post my resolution:

Looking at SCCM logs and looking at the Server Audit logs only showed me that my main server (computer account) was deleting my source content. I was able to determine the first time it happened (date and time) by the dist manager and packagetransfer logs.

My problem involved software updates. Software updates were configured by my coworker to download and they pointed the content to download to the root of the share which ended up deleting all source content. I went under Deployment Packages and selected to display the Package Source Path. This revealed a package was pointing to the root. Made a change to the package to point it to another folder within the software updates folder we have and that cleared the problem.

• Like 1

I went under Deployment Packages and selected to display the Package Source Path. This revealed a package was pointing to the root. Made a change to the package to point it to another folder within the software updates folder we have and that cleared the problem.

You sir, are awesome. I just had this same issue. Thank you very very much.