qsteenhuis

Can't set up reporting in CM2012, "At least one report category must exist before a report can be created."

I am trying to set up reporting on SCCM 2012 Sp1, mostly following this guide: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4550-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-11-adding-the-reporting-services-point-role/.

I had originally set up my CM Database on the same server as SCOM.

---------------------------
Configuration Manager
At least one report category must exist before a report can be created.  Create a report folder, then try again.
OK   

I saw this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4e911026-f9d7-4318-92cc-446bc50d138c/reporting-in-sccm-2012-not-working-properly and I realize now that SCOM and SCCM's reporting service don't work well together.

I tried setting up the SSRS and the Reporting Services role on the SCCM server instead. However, of course when I am prompted to enter the Site Database Server name I still need to enter the name of the SCOM server, since that is where the CM database lives. I don't see a way to specify the local database to use for storing the reports.

What is the proper way to fix this? Do I need to have a local copy of the SCCM database, in order to use the local database to store the reports?

Moving the database doesn't sound fun.

GarthMJ, can you explain? Are you saying that the technet forum post I found doesn't apply to CM2012?

I believe I tested exactly what you are saying, but maybe I misunderstand.

I installed Sql Server Reporting Service role on my primary server, I added the Reporting Services role on the primary server, and when configuring the Reporting Services role I pointed it to the CM database, which currently lives on my SCOM server.

That's when I'm getting the error message above if I try to create a report.

You know what--based on what you said about the fact that it should just work, I tried restarting the SCCM server to see if the fact that I had tried several different configurations before landing on the "correct" one would make a difference, and now it does work :)

I always think it's funny when my users ask for help when they haven't tried a reboot, and now it happened to me. Thanks.